Computationally Efficient Optimal Solutions to the Lot-Sizing Problem in Multistage Assembly Systems
AbstractThe scheduling of lot sizes in multistage production environments is a fundamental problem in many Material Requirements Planning Systems. Many heuristics have been suggested for this problem with varying degrees of success. Research to date on obtaining optimal solutions has been limited to small problems. This paper presents a new formulation of the lot-sizing problem in multistage assembly systems which leads to an effective optimization algorithm for the problem. The problem is reformulated in terms of "echelon stock" which simplifies its decomposition by a Lagrangean relaxation method. A Branch and Bound algorithm which uses the bounds obtained by the relaxation was developed and tested. Computational results are reported on 120 randomly generated problems involving up to 50 items in 15 stages and up to 18 time periods in the planning horizon.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 30 (1984)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
MRP systems; lot sizing in MRP systems; multistage assembly systems;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Escudero, L. F. & Galindo, E. & Garcia, G. & Gomez, E. & Sabau, V., 1999. "Schumann, a modeling framework for supply chain management under uncertainty," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 14-34, November.
- Lee, S. D. & Rung, J. M., 2000. "Production lot sizing in failure prone two-stage serial systems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 123(1), pages 42-60, May.
- Grubbström, Robert W. & Tang, Ou, 2012. "The space of solution alternatives in the optimal lotsizing problem for general assembly systems applying MRP theory," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 765-777.
- Dellaert, N. & Jeunet, J. & Jonard, N., 2000. "A genetic algorithm to solve the general multi-level lot-sizing problem with time-varying costs," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 241-257, December.
- Xiao, Yiyong & Kaku, Ikou & Zhao, Qiuhong & Zhang, Renqian, 2011. "A reduced variable neighborhood search algorithm for uncapacitated multilevel lot-sizing problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 214(2), pages 223-231, October.
- Jans, Raf & Degraeve, Zeger, 2007. "Meta-heuristics for dynamic lot sizing: A review and comparison of solution approaches," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(3), pages 1855-1875, March.
- Dellaert, N. P. & Jeunet, J., 2003. "Randomized multi-level lot-sizing heuristics for general product structures," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 148(1), pages 211-228, July.
- Degraeve, Z. & Jans, R.F., 2003. "A New Dantzig-Wolfe Reformulation And Branch-And-Price Algorithm For The Capacitated Lot Sizing Problem With Set Up Times," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2003-010-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Erenguc, S. Selcuk & Simpson, N. C. & Vakharia, Asoo J., 1999. "Integrated production/distribution planning in supply chains: An invited review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 219-236, June.
- Chu, Chi-Leung & Leon, V. Jorge, 2009. "Scalable methodology for supply chain inventory coordination with private information," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 195(1), pages 262-279, May.
- Simpson, N. C., 1999. "Multiple level production planning in rolling horizon assembly environments," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 114(1), pages 15-28, April.
- dos Santos-Meza, Elisangela & Oliveira dos Santos, Maristela & Nereu Arenales, Marcos, 2002. "A lot-sizing problem in an automated foundry," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 139(3), pages 490-500, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.