The Strategic Role of Information on the Demand Function in an Oligopolistic Market
AbstractThis paper investigates the incentives for cooperation in market surveys among competitive firms. The analysis relies on a game theoretic model. The main conclusion is that the value of information in a competitive market exhibits a sharp decrease as the number of firms that share the information increases. Thus, the advantage obtained through sharing the cost of a market survey may be upset by the loss due to the spreading of information among the competitors. The consumer's point of view is also studied showing that market surveys are advantageous in terms of consumer surplus, a usual indicator of the consumer's satisfaction.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 25 (1979)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
marketing; games/group decisions; information systems;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ezra Einy & Diego Moreno & Benyamin Shitovitz, 2002.
"The Value Of Public Information In A Cournot Duopoly,"
Economics Working Papers
we024617, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Einy, Ezra & Moreno, Diego & Shitovitz, Benyamin, 2003. "The value of public information in a Cournot duopoly," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 272-285, August.
- Johan Lagerlof, 2003.
"Insisting on a Non-Negative Price: Oligopoly, Uncertainty, Welfare, and Multiple Equilibria,"
- Lagerlof, Johan N.M., 2007. "Insisting on a non-negative price: Oligopoly, uncertainty, welfare, and multiple equilibria," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 861-875, August.
- Johan Lagerlof, 2003. "Insisting on a Non-Negative Price: Oligopoly, Uncertainty, Welfare, and Multiple Equilibria," Microeconomics 0304006, EconWPA.
- Lagerlöf, Johan N.M., 2003. "Insisting on a Non-negative Price: Oligopoly, Uncertainty, Welfare and Multiple Equilibria," CEPR Discussion Papers 3901, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Johan Lagerlöf, 2003. "Insisting on a Non-Negative Price: Oligopoly, Uncertainty, Welfare, and Multiple Equilibria," CIG Working Papers SP II 2003-04, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Luo, Jianli, 2012. "Information acquisition under uncertainty: The case of labor-managed and profit-maximizing firms coexist," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 2527-2532.
- Christophe Caron & Thierry Lafay, 2008. "How Risk Disciplines Pre-Commitment," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 65(3), pages 205-226, November.
- Sjaak Hurkens & Nir Vulkan, 2000.
"Endogenous Private Information Structures,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0613, Econometric Society.
- Yasuhiro Sakai & Akihiko Yoshizumi, 1991. "The impact of risk aversion on information transmission between firms," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 53(1), pages 51-73, February.
- Güth, Sandra & Güth, Werner & Müller, Wieland, 2000. "Private information, risk aversion, and the evolution of market research," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2000,113, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Sjaak Hurkens & Nir Vulkan, 1996.
"Information acquisition and entry,"
Economics Working Papers
155, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Eliane Catilina, 2002. "Information Acquisition in Cournot Markets: An (enhanced) two- Stage Approach," Game Theory and Information 0205005, EconWPA.
- Esther Hauk & Sjaak Hurkens, 1996.
"Secret information acquisition in Cournot markets,"
Economics Working Papers
233, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Aug 1997.
- MortonI. Kamien, 1987. "The Value of Infommation in a Strategic Conflict," Discussion Papers 717, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Jiang, Yingying & Yoneyama, Takau, 2008. "Economic conditions on exchange of technology and information : cournot's model applied to demand information risk in China," Hitotsubashi Journal of commerce and management, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 42(1), pages 17-28, January.
- Jacques-François Thisse & Jean J. Gabszewicz, 2000. "Microeconomic theories of imperfect competition," Cahiers d'Économie Politique, Programme National Persée, vol. 37(1), pages 47-99.
- Arturs Kalnins, 2006. "Markets: The U.S. Lodging Industry," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 20(4), pages 203-218, Fall.
- Sjaak Hurkens & Nir Vulkan, 1999. "Endogenous information structures," Economics Working Papers 386, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Tapan Biswas & Jolian McHardy, 2010. "Strategic behaviour of firms in a duopoly and the impact of extending the patenting period," Working Papers 2010014, The University of Sheffield, Department of Economics.
- Rafael, MONER-COLONQUES & Vicente, ORTS & José J., SEMPERE-MONERRIS, 2003. "The Strategic Role of Information Asymmetry on Demand for the Multinational Enterprise," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2003002, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.