Models of New Product Diffusion Through Advertising and Word-of-Mouth
AbstractA model of the diffusion process is developed which recognizes (1) the interaction between adopters and non-adopters and (2) the influence of external information sources such as advertising. The model is extended by incorporating the effects of repeat purchasing. The models written by the following authors are shown to be special cases of this model: Gould. Nerlove and Arrow, Vidale and Wolfe, Palda, Bass, Nicosia, and Glaister. The behavioral assumptions which support the model are made explicit and the implications of these assumptions for the shape of the new product growth curve are derived.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 24 (1978)
Issue (Month): 15 (November)
marketing; marketing: buyer behavior; health care: epidemiology;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Theoharakis, Vasilis & Vakratsas, Demetrios & Wong, Veronica, 2007. "Market-level information and the diffusion of competing technologies: An exploratory analysis of the LAN industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 742-757, June.
- Francesco Bogliacino & Giorgio Rampa, 2009.
"Quality Risk Aversion, Conjectures, and New Product Diffusion,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2009_27, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Francesco Bogliacino & Giorgio Rampa, 2012. "Quality risk aversion, conjectures, and new product diffusion," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 22(5), pages 1081-1115, November.
- Francesco Bogliacino & Giorgio Rampa, 2009. "Quality Risk Aversion, Conjectures, and New Product Diffusion," Quaderni di Dipartimento 092, University of Pavia, Department of Economics and Quantitative Methods.
- Kamrad, Bardia & Lele, Shreevardhan S. & Siddique, Akhtar & Thomas, Robert J., 2005. "Innovation diffusion uncertainty, advertising and pricing policies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 164(3), pages 829-850, August.
- Yan, Xiaoming & Liu, Ke, 2009. "Optimal control problems for a new product with word-of-mouth," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 119(2), pages 402-414, June.
- Oscar Gutiérrez & Francisco Ruiz-Aliseda, 2011.
"Real options with unknown-date events,"
Annals of Finance,
Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 171-198, May.
- Óscar Guti�Rrez & Francisco Ruiz-Aliseda, 2009.
"Entry Patterns Over The Product Life Cycle,"
University of Manchester, vol. 77(5), pages 594-610, 09.
- Huang, Jian & Leng, Mingming & Liang, Liping, 2012. "Recent developments in dynamic advertising research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 220(3), pages 591-609.
- Jongsu Lee & Chul-Yong Lee, 2009. "A Forecasting Model Incorporating Replacement Purchase: Mobile Handsets in South Korea's Market," TEMEP Discussion Papers 200904, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Apr 2009.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.