Scoring Rules for Continuous Probability Distributions
AbstractPersonal, or subjective, probabilities are used as inputs to many inferential and decision-making models, and various procedures have been developed for the elicitation of such probabilities. Included among these elicitation procedures are scoring rules, which involve the computation of a score based on the assessor's stated probabilities and on the event that actually occurs. The development of scoring rules has, in general, been restricted to the elicitation of discrete probability distributions. In this paper, families of scoring rules for the elicitation of continuous probability distributions are developed and discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 22 (1976)
Issue (Month): 10 (June)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Georgios Anastasiades & Patrick McSharry, 2013. "Quantile Forecasting of Wind Power Using Variability Indices," Energies, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 6(2), pages 662-695, February.
- R. Winkler & Javier Muñoz & José Cervera & José Bernardo & Gail Blattenberger & Joseph Kadane & Dennis Lindley & Allan Murphy & Robert Oliver & David Ríos-Insua, 1996. "Scoring rules and the evaluation of probabilities," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 1-60, June.
- Glenn W. Harrison & Jimmy MartÃnez-Correa & J. Todd Swarthout & Eric R. Ulm, 2012. "Scoring Rules for Subjective Probability Distributions," Experimental Economics Center Working Paper Series 2012-18, Experimental Economics Center, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Jakob W. Messner & Georg J. Mayr & Daniel S. Wilks & Achim Zeileis, 2013. "Extending Extended Logistic Regression for Ensemble Post-Processing: Extended vs. Separate vs. Ordered vs. Censored," Working Papers 2013-32, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Reinhard Selten, 1998.
"Axiomatic Characterization of the Quadratic Scoring Rule,"
Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 43-61, June.
- Selten, Reinhard, 1996. "Axiomatic Characterization of the Quadratic Scoring Rule," Discussion Paper Serie B 390, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Glenn W. Harrison & Jimmy MartÃnez-Correa & J. Todd Swarthout & Eric R. Ulm, 2013. "Scoring Rules for Subjective Probability Distributions," Experimental Economics Center Working Paper Series 2013-05, Experimental Economics Center, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Alvaro Sandroni & Eran Shmaya, 2013. "Eliciting Beliefs by Paying in Chance," Discussion Papers 1565, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Tilmann Gneiting & Larissa Stanberry & Eric Grimit & Leonhard Held & Nicholas Johnson, 2008. "Assessing probabilistic forecasts of multivariate quantities, with an application to ensemble predictions of surface winds," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 211-235, August.
- Hardaker, J. Brian & Lien, Gudbrand, 2010. "Probabilities for decision analysis in agriculture and rural resource economics: The need for a paradigm change," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 103(6), pages 345-350, July.
- Papakonstantinou, A. & Rogers, A & Gerding, E. H. & Jennings, N. R., 2010. "Mechanism Design for the truthful elicitation of costly probabilistic estimates in Distributed Information Systems," MPRA Paper 43324, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Papakonstantinou, A. & Rogers, A. & Gerding, E. H. & Jennings, N. R, 2008. "A Truthful Two-Stage Mechanism for Eliciting Probabilistic Estimates with Unknown Costs," MPRA Paper 43320, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- D. Johnstone, 2007. "The Value of a Probability Forecast from Portfolio Theory," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 63(2), pages 153-203, September.
- Miguel Ángel Bermejo & Daniel Peña & Ismael Sánchez, 2011. "Densidad de predicción basada en momentos condicionados y máxima entropía : aplicación a la predicción de potencia eólica," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws111813, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Theo Eicher & Chris Papageogiou & Adrian E Raftery, 2007.
"Default Priors and Predictive Performance in Bayesian Model Averaging, with Application to Growth Determinants,"
UWEC-2007-25-P, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Theo S. Eicher & Chris Papageorgiou & Adrian E. Raftery, 2011. "Default priors and predictive performance in Bayesian model averaging, with application to growth determinants," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(1), pages 30-55, January/F.
- Allen, P. Geoffrey & Morzuch, Bernard J., 1995. "Comparing probability forecasts derived from theoretical distributions," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 147-157, March.
- Victor Jose, 2009. "A Characterization for the Spherical Scoring Rule," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 66(3), pages 263-281, March.
- Buchmann, Marco, 2011. "Corporate bond spreads and real activity in the euro area - Least Angle Regression forecasting and the probability of the recession," Working Paper Series 1286, European Central Bank.
- Gneiting, Tilmann, 2011. "Quantiles as optimal point forecasts," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 197-207, April.
- Amalia Di Girolamo & Glenn W. Harrison & Morten I. Lau & J. Todd Swarthout, 2013. "Characterizing Financial and Statistical Literacy," Experimental Economics Center Working Paper Series 2013-04, Experimental Economics Center, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Hilde Bjørnland & Karsten Gerdrup & Christie Smith & Anne Sofie Jore & Leif Anders Thorsrud, 2010.
"Weights and pools for a Norwegian density combination,"
2010/06, Norges Bank.
- Bjørnland, Hilde C. & Gerdrup, Karsten & Jore, Anne Sofie & Smith, Christie & Thorsrud, Leif Anders, 2011. "Weights and pools for a Norwegian density combination," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 61-76, January.
- Fang, Fang & Stinchcombe, Maxwell B. & Whinston, Andrew B., 2010. "Proper scoring rules with arbitrary value functions," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(6), pages 1200-1210, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.