Efficiency in the Romanian Banking System: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis
AbstractThe paper analyzes the efficiency and productivity of the Romanian banks from 2006-08. It uses a non-parametric approach, the data envelopment analysis (DEA) to analyze banks’ efficiency. Based on a sample of 15 commercial banks, our findings reveal that although the efficiency of the Romanian commercial banks improved since 2006, the cost efficiency scores are relatively low. Also, even if in 2007 the total factor productivity increased, in 2008 this score of the average productivity of banks decreased.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Institute of National Economy in its journal Romanian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 29 (2009(XIX))
Issue (Month): 2(38) (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Casa Academiei, Calea 13 Septembrie nr.13, sector 5, Bucureşti 761172
Phone: 004 021 318.24.67
Fax: 004 021 318.24.67
Web page: http://www.ien.ro/
More information through EDIRC
bank performance; cost efficiency; productivity; data envelopment analysis; Malmquist Index;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Longitudinal Data; Spatial Time Series
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jose L. Gallizo & Jordi Moreno & Ioana Iuliana Pop (Grigorescu), 2011. "Banking Efficiency And European Integration. Implications Of The Banking Reform In Romania," Annales Universitatis Apulensis Series Oeconomica, Faculty of Sciences, "1 Decembrie 1918" University, Alba Iulia, vol. 2(13), pages 25.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valentina Vasile).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.