The Joint and Several Effects of Liquidity Constraints, Financing Constraints, and Financial Intermediation on the Welfare Cost of Inflation
AbstractThis paper examines two features of modern economies that are often overlooked when formally considering the welfare costs of inflation. The first is the short-term financing requirements of firms, and the second is the joint roles played by banks in providing valued liquidity services to households and in acting as financial intermediaries. Measured welfare losses of moderate inflation are seen to become quite large when firms finance their working capital expenses by issuing short- term debt, with estimates of those losses ranging to over 450 percent higher than is the case when these financing requirements are ignored. Banks are seen to mitigate substantially the welfare costs of inflation by lessening the distortions in household decisions, and by intermediating a larger share of short-term loans to firms as inflation increases.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan in its journal Monetary and Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 17 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 2-1-1 Nihonbashi, Hongoku-cho, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 103
Web page: http://www.imes.boj.or.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cysne, Rubens Penha & Turchick, David, 2010.
"Welfare costs of inflation when interest-bearing deposits are disregarded: A calculation of the bias,"
Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE)
700, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Cysne, Rubens Penha & Turchick, David, 2010. "Welfare costs of inflation when interest-bearing deposits are disregarded: A calculation of the bias," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1015-1030, June.
- repec:eee:deveco:v:99:y:2012:i:2:p:358-369 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:fip:fedfap:2000-17 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wikipedia talk:Only make links that are relevant to the context/Archive 6 in Wikipedia (English)
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kinken).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.