Adjustment Costs and Nonlinear Dynamics in the Demand for Money: Italy, 1861-1991
AbstractTarget-bounds models and buffer stock models in the presence of adjustment costs imply nonlinear functional forms for the aggregate demand for money characterized by smooth adjustment towards long-run equilibrium. This paper presents a stable empirical model for the demand for narrow money in Italy using high quality annual data spanning from Italian unification in 1861 through to 1991. A unique, theory consistent long-run function is obtained jointly with the short-run dynamic demand function by estimating a nonlinear error correction model in the form of an exponential smooth transition regression. The model proposed variance-dominates, encompasses and fits better than various linear and nonlinear alternative specifications. Copyright @ 1999 by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. All rights reserved.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal International Journal of Finance & Economics.
Volume (Year): 4 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/1076-9307/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Andrés González, 1999.
"A Nonlinear Specification Of Demand For Narrow Money In Colombia,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
001894, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Andrés González, . "A Nonlinear Specification of Demand for Narrow Money in Colombia," Borradores de Economia 135, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 2001.
"Purchasing Power Parity and the Real Exchange Rate,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2913, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lucio Sarno & Mark P. Taylor, 2002. "Purchasing Power Parity and the Real Exchange Rate," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 49(1), pages 5.
- Q. Farooq Akram & Øyvind Eitrheim & Lucio Sarno, 2005. "Non-linear dynamics in output, real exchange rates and real money balances: Norway, 1830-2003," Working Paper 2005/2, Norges Bank.
- Daiki Maki, 2013. "Detecting cointegration relationships under nonlinear models: Monte Carlo analysis and some applications," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 605-625, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.