Rate Of Return Regulation: An Indirect Approach
AbstractThis paper proposes an indirect method to the "Rate of Return Regulation" (ROR) or "Cost Based Regulation," by imposing ROR on monopoly firms through tax instruments, i.e., ad-valorem tax and consumption tax. The main objective in undertaking this theoretical study of industrial economics is to investigate and compare the results of direct with indirect methods concerning the social cost of monopoly and monopoly distortions or "overcapitalization." The finding shows that the indirect method not only would not involve an inefficient allocation of resources but it is also much more demanding than the direct method in terms of government's information requirements and even increases the monopoly output higher than the level reached by direct regulation. This is relevant in the implementation of regulated firms especially in the period after privatization.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by IIUM Journal of Economis and Management in its journal IIUM Journal of Economics and Management.
Volume (Year): 7 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D42 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Monopoly
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gairuzazmi Mat Ghani).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.