Estimation With Censored Regressors: Basic Issues
AbstractWe study issues that arise for estimation of a linear model when a regressor is censored. We discuss the efficiency losses from dropping censored observations, and illustrate the losses for bound censoring. We show that the common practice of introducing a dummy variable to "correct for" censoring does not correct bias or improve estimation. We show how censored observations generally have zero semiparametric information, and we discuss implications for estimation. We derive the likelihood function for a parametric model of mixed bound-independent censoring, and apply that model to the estimation of wealth effects on consumption. Copyright 2007 by the Economics Department Of The University Of Pennsylvania And Osaka University Institute Of Social And Economic Research Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 48 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kilian, Lutz & Vigfusson, Robert J., 2009.
"Pitfalls in Estimating Asymmetric Effects of Energy Price Shocks,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7284, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lutz Kilian, 2009. "Pitfalls in Estimating Asymmetric Effects of Energy Price Shocks," 2009 Meeting Papers 473, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Lutz Kilian & Robert Vigfusson, 2009. "Pitfalls in estimating asymmetric effects of energy price shocks," International Finance Discussion Papers 970, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- John Gilbert & Reza Oladi, 2011.
"Net Campaign Contributions, Agricultural Interests, and Votes on Liberalizing Trade with China,"
2011-02, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- John Gilbert & Reza Oladi, 2012. "Net campaign contributions, agricultural interests, and votes on liberalizing trade with China," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 150(3), pages 745-769, March.
- John Gilbert & Reza Oladi, 2011. "Net Campaign Contributions, Agricultural Interests, and Votes on Liberalizing Trade with China," Working Papers 201102, Utah State University, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Gumpert, Anna & Hines Jr., James R. & Schnitzer, Monika, 2012.
"The use of tax havens in exemption regimes,"
Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems
381, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Gumpert, Anna & Hines, James R. & Schnitzer, Monika, 2011. "The use of tax havens in exemption regimes," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2011,30, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Gumpert, Anna & Hines Jr, James R & Schnitzer, Monika, 2012. "The use of tax havens in exemption regimes," CEPR Discussion Papers 8943, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anna Gumpert & James R. Hines, Jr. & Monika Schnitzer, 2011. "The Use of Tax Havens in Exemption Regimes," NBER Working Papers 17644, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Murasko, Jason E., 2009. "Socioeconomic status, height, and obesity in children," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 376-386, December.
- Tsimikas, John V. & Bantis, Leonidas E. & Georgiou, Stelios D., 2012. "Inference in generalized linear regression models with a censored covariate," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(6), pages 1854-1868.
- Jeon, Jin Q. & Ligon, James A., 2011. "How much is reasonable? The size of termination fees in mergers and acquisitions," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 959-981, September.
- Bernhardt, Paul W. & Wang, Huixia Judy & Zhang, Daowen, 2014. "Flexible modeling of survival data with covariates subject to detection limits via multiple imputation," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 69(C), pages 81-91.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.