Intrinsically Worthless Objects as Media of Exchange: Experimental Evidence
AbstractThis article reports results from an experiment that examines whether an intrinsically worthless, "token" object serves as a medium of exchange in a laboratory implementation of Kiyotaki and Wright's search model of money. The theory admits Nash equilibria in which the token object is or is not used as a medium of exchange. We find that subjects nearly always offer to trade for the token object when such a trade lowers their storage costs. However, subjects frequently refuse to offer to trade the token object for more costly-to-store goods when the theory predicts they should make such trades. Copyright Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 43 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gabriele Camera & Marco Casari, 2010.
"The Coordination Value of Monetary Exchange: Experimental Evidence,"
Purdue University Economics Working Papers
1239, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- G. Camera & M. Casari, 2011. "The coordination value of monetary exchange: Experimental evidence," Working Papers wp754, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Rajeev, Meenakshi, 2012. "Search cost, trading strategies and optimal market structure," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1757-1765.
- Roberto Ricciuti, 2004.
"Bringing Macroeconomics into the Lab,"
ICER Working Papers
26-2004, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Roberto Ricciuti, 2005. "Bringing Macroeconomics into the Lab," Labsi Experimental Economics Laboratory University of Siena 004, University of Siena.
- Roberto Ricciuti, 2003. "Bringing Macroeconomics into the Lab," Royal Holloway, University of London: Discussion Papers in Economics 03/9, Department of Economics, Royal Holloway University of London, revised Dec 2003.
- John Duffy, 2004.
"Agent-Based Models and Human Subject Experiments,"
- Riedl, Arno & van Winden, Frans, 2012.
"Input versus output taxation in an experimental international economy,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 216-232.
- Arno Riedl & Frans van Winden, 2003. "Input Versus Output Taxation in an Experimental International Economy," CESifo Working Paper Series 1088, CESifo Group Munich.
- Riedl, Arno & van Winden, Frans, 2004. "Input versus Output Taxation in an Experimental International Economy," IZA Discussion Papers 1344, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Arno Riedl & Frans van Winden, 2003. "Input Versus Output Taxation In An Experimental International Economy," Levine's Bibliography 666156000000000277, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Arno Riedl & Frans van Winden, 2003. "Input versus Output Taxation in an Experimental International Economy," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 03-058/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- John Duffy & Daniela Puzzello, 2011. "Gift Exchange versus Monetary Exchange: Theory and Evidence," Working Papers 449, University of Pittsburgh, Department of Economics, revised Sep 2013.
- Valev, Neven T., 2010. "The hysteresis of currency substitution: Currency risk vs. network externalities," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 224-235, March.
- Daniela Puzzello & Brit Grosskpof & John Duffy, 2011. "Gift Exchange versus Monetary Exchange: Experimental Evidence," 2011 Meeting Papers 1153, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- John Duffy, 2008. "Macroeconomics: A Survey of Laboratory Research," Working Papers 334, University of Pittsburgh, Department of Economics, revised Mar 2008.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.