On the Persistence of Leadership or Leapfrogging in International Trade
AbstractWhen two countries starting from different quality levels (reflecting different conditions on domestic market demands) open to trade, two possible equilibria arise. In the first, the quality leader maintains its position. In the second, leapfrogging occurs. However, the latter is possible only if the initial quality gap is not too wide. Further, when the risk dominance criterion is used, only the former equilibrium is selected. These results suggest that initial conditions (such as domestic market size or home demand preferences) are important factors in determining relative competitiveness of firms in international markets. Copyright 1997 by Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 38 (1997)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Cabrales, Antonio & Motta, Massimo & Thisse, Jacques-François, 1995. "On the Persistence of Leadership or Leapfrogging in International Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 1106, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Motta, Massimo & Thisse, Jacques-François & Cabrales, Antonio, . "On the persistence of leadership or leapfrogging in international trade," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/3683, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Massimo MOTTA & Jean-François THISSE & Antonio CABRALES, 1996. "On the Persistence of Leadership or Leapfrogging in International Trade," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9625, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Cabrales, Antonio & Motta, Massimo & Thisse, Jacques-François, . "On the Persistence of Leadership or Leapfrogging in International Trade," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/3512, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.