Quadratic Spline Models for Producer's Supply and Demand Functions
AbstractIn this paper, the authors propose and estimate a system of producer output supply and input demand functions that generalizes the standard normalized quadratic form. The generalization adds either linear or quadratic splines in a time (or technical change) variable, yet retains the main attractive property of the normalized quadratic, which is that it can provide a local second order approximation while maintaining the correct curvature globally. However, the generalization has additional desirable approximation properties with respect to the splined variable and, thus, permits a more flexible treatment of technical change than is provided by standard flexible functional forms. Copyright 1992 by Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 33 (1992)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Steiner, Viktor & Wagner, Kersten, 1997. "Relative Earnings and the Demand for Unskilled Labor in West German Manufacturing," ZEW Discussion Papers 97-17, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Roberto ESPOSTI & Pierpaolo PIERANI, 2006.
"Price-Induced Technical Progress in Italian Agriculture,"
275, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Roberto Esposti & Pierpaolo Pierani, 2008. "Price-induced technical progress in Italian agriculture," Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies - Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 89(4), pages 5-28.
- William Barnett & Ikuyasu Usui, 2006.
"The Theoretical Regularity Properties of the Normalized Quadratic Consumer Demand Model,"
WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS
200609, University of Kansas, Department of Economics.
- Barnett, William A. & Usui, Ikuyasu, 2006. "The Theoretical Regularity Properties of the Normalized Quadratic Consumer Demand Model," MPRA Paper 410, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Glauben, Thomas & Henning, Christian H.C.A. & Henningsen, Arne, 2003.
"Farm household decisions under various tax policies: Comparative static results and evidence from household data,"
FE Working Papers
0309, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Food Economics and Consumption Studies.
- Henningsen, Arne & Glauben, Thomas & Henning, Christian H.C.A., 2003. "Farm Household Decisions Under Various Tax Policies: Comparative Static Results And Evidence From Household Data," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25889, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lin, Pei-Chien & Roe, Terry L., 1999. "Growth Theory And Accounting For Growth Of The Taiwanese Economy," Bulletins 12968, University of Minnesota, Economic Development Center.
- Feng, Guohua & Serletis, Apostolos, 2008. "Productivity trends in U.S. manufacturing: Evidence from the NQ and AIM cost functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 281-311, January.
- Diewert, Erwin & Mizobuchi, Hideyuki, 2009. "An Economic Approach to the Measurement of Productivity Growth Using Differences Instead of Ratios," Economics working papers erwin_diewert-2009-2, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 09 Jan 2009.
- William A. Barnett & Jane Binner & W. Erwin Diewert, 2005. "Functional Structure and Approximation in Econometrics (book front matter)," Econometrics 0511006, EconWPA.
- Diewert, Erwin, 2009. "Cost of Living Indexes and Exact Index Numbers," Economics working papers erwin_diewert-2009-6, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 13 Feb 2009.
- Boonsaeng, Tullaya & Wohlgenant, Michael K., 2006. "The Demand for Livestock by the U.S. Meat Processing Industry," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21120, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Fox, Kevin J. & Grafton, R. Quentin & Kirkley, James & Squires, Dale, 2003.
"Property rights in a fishery: regulatory change and firm performance,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 156-177, July.
- Kevin J. Fox & R. Quentin Grafton & James Kirkley & Dale Squires, 2002. "Property Rights in a Fishery: Regulatory Change and Firm Performance," Economics and Environment Network Working Papers 0205, Australian National University, Economics and Environment Network.
- Diewert, W. E. & Wales, T. J., 1995. "Flexible functional forms and tests of homogeneous separability," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 259-302, June.
- Serletis, Apostolos & Timilsina, Govinda R. & Vasetsky, Olexandr, 2010. "Interfuel substitution in the United States," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 737-745, May.
- Eric Wang, 1998. "Sensitivities of Import Demand and Export Supply in an Open Developing Economy: the Evidence from Taiwan, 1961-1994," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(1), pages 121-139.
- Henning, Christian H.C.A. & Henningsen, Arne, 2005. "Modeling Price Response of Farm Households Under Imperfect Labor Markets: A Farm Household Approach to Family Farms in Poland," 94th Seminar, April 9-10, 2005, Ashford, UK 24431, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- C. Sarmiento, 2004. "Modelling firm heterogeneity with spatial 'trends'," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(5), pages 271-274.
- Rossella Bardazzi & Marco Barnabani, 2001. "A Long-run Disaggregated Cross-section and Time-series Demand System: An Application to Italy," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(4), pages 365-389.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.