Nesting the AIDS and Translog Demand System
AbstractThis paper shows that there exists a relatively simple demand model that is consistent with utility maximization, and has nested within it both the almost ideal demand system and translog models. This model is exactly aggregated, then estimated using aggregate U.S. demand data. The results are used to test the relative adequacy of the almost ideal demand system and translog models. Copyright 1989 by Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 30 (1989)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Teisl, Mario F. & Levy, Alan S., 1997. "Does Nutrition Labeling Lead To Healthier Eating?," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 28(3), October.
- Hilmer, Christiana E. & Holt, Matthew T., 2005. "Estimating Indirect Production Functions with a More General Specification: An Application of the Lewbel Model," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(03), December.
- Goddard, Ellen W. & Schram, Craig & Huang, Wenzhao & Yang, Jun & Drescher, Larissa S., 2010. "Value-Added Meat: Measuring Past Successes and Predicting Future Winners," Project Report Series 107191, University of Alberta, Department of Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology.
- Holt, Matthew T. & Goodwin, Barry K., 2009. "The Almost Ideal and Translog Demand Systems," MPRA Paper 15092, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hilmer, Christiana E. & Holt, Matthew T., 1999. "The Almost Ideal Supply System And Agricultural Production In The United States," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21659, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Kim, Sam-Ryang & Chern, Wen S. & Jones, Eugene, 1998. "Impact Of Health Information On Demand For Fats And Oils In Japan: Cointegration And A Complete Demand System Approach," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20802, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Eales, James S., 1994. "The Inverse Lewbel Demand System," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(01), July.
- Mauricio V. L. Bittencourt & Ratapol P. Teratanavat & Wen S. Chern, 2005.
"Food Consumption and Demographics in Japan: Implications for an Aging Population,"
0026, Universidade Federal do Paraná, Department of Economics.
- Mauricio V.L. Bittencourt & Ratapol P. Teratanavat & Wen S. Chern, 2007. "Food consumption and demographics in Japan: Implications for an aging population," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(4), pages 529-551.
- Michal Paluch & Alois Kneip & Werner Hildenbrand, 2007. "Individual versus Aggregate Income Elasticities for Heterogeneous Populations," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse13_2007, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Lyssiotou, Panayiota & Pashardes, Panos & Stengos, Thanasis, 2002.
"Nesting quadratic logarithmic demand systems,"
Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 369-374, August.
- Bittencourt, Mauricio V.L. & Teratanavat, Ratapol P. & Chern, Wen S., 2004. "Examining Food Consumption In Japan Under Life-Cycle Hypothesis: Implication From Cross-Sectional Data," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20070, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Liu, Kang Ernest, 2006. "A Quadratic Generalization of the Almost Ideal and Translog Demand Systems: An Application to Food Demand in Urban China," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21387, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.