The Structure of Preferences and Attitudes towards the Timing of the Resolution of Uncertainty
AbstractThis paper is concerned with the phenomenon of preference for timing in the temporal resolution of uncertainty and its implications for the structure of utility functionals defined on multiperiod consumption programs. Several postulates concerning attitudes towards timing are stated using a new definition of timing premium for early resolution of uncertainty. The analysis provides an axiomatic basis for the specifications of expected utility and the more general weighted utility and implicit weighted utility functionals in temporal models. Copyright 1989 by Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 30 (1989)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Schroder, Mark & Skiadas, Costis, 1999. "Optimal Consumption and Portfolio Selection with Stochastic Differential Utility," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 68-126, November.
- Dillenberger, David, 2008. "Preferences for One-Shot Resolution of Uncertainty and Allais-Type Behavior," MPRA Paper 8342, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- John Hey & Massimo Paradiso., . "Dynamic Choice and Timing-Independence: an experimental investigation," Discussion Papers 99/26, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Grant, S & Kajii, A & Polak, B, 1997.
"Intrinsic Preference for Information,"
323, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- Tan Wang, 2000. "Updating Rules for Non-Bayesian Preferences," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0157, Econometric Society.
- Ma, Chenghu, 1998. "Attitudes toward the timing of resolution of uncertainty and the existence of recursive utility," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 97-112, September.
- Kam Yu, 2008.
"Measuring the Output and Prices of the Lottery Sector: An Application of Implicit Expected Utility Theory,"
NBER Working Papers
14020, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kam Yu, 2009. "Measuring the Output and Prices of the Lottery Sector: An Application of Implicit Expected Utility Theory," NBER Chapters, in: Price Index Concepts and Measurement, pages 405-425 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Simon Grant & Atsushi Kajii & Ben Polak, 1996.
"Preference for Information,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1114, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kraus, Alan & Sagi, Jacob S., 2006. "Asset pricing with unforeseen contingencies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 417-453, November.
- Simon Grant & Atsushi Kajii & Ben Polak, 1999.
"Preference for Information and Dynamic Consistency,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1208, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Simon Grant & Atsushi Kajii & Ben Polak, 2000. "Preference for Information and Dynamic Consistency," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 48(3), pages 263-286, May.
- David Dillenberger, 2008. "Preferences for One-Shot Resolution of Uncertainty and Allais-Type Behavior," PIER Working Paper Archive 08-036, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- John, Kose & Reisz, Alexander S., 2010. "Temporal resolution of uncertainty, disclosure policy, and corporate debt yields," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 655-678, December.
- Wang, Tan, 2003. "Conditional preferences and updating," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 286-321, February.
- Ligon, James A. & Cather, David A., 1997. "The informational value of insurance purchases: Evidence from the property-liability insurance market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(7), pages 989-1016, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.