Dispersion, Asymmetry and the Gini Index of Inequality
AbstractThe paper shows that the value of the Gini Index of Inequality (Concentration) depends on the skewness of the income distribution. It i s first proved that the Gini Index belongs to the family of relative mean deviat ions. Then a new asymmetry index is defined which allows one to show that the Gini Index of symmetric distributions is always smaller or equal to one-half, whereas a necessary condition for the Gini Index to be greater than one-half is that the distribution be skewed to the right. Copyright 1987 by Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 28 (1987)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Makdissi, Paul & Mussard, Stéphane, 2006.
"Decomposition of s-Concentration Curves,"
IRISS Working Paper Series
2006-09, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Paul Makdissi & Stéphane Mussard, 2006. "Decomposition of s - Concentration Curves," Cahiers de recherche 0641, CIRPEE.
- Paul Makdissi & Stéphane Mussard, 2006. "Decomposition of s-Concentration Curves," Cahiers de recherche 06-21, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Stéphane Mussard, 2005. "On Decomposition of the Gini Index of Equality," Cahiers de recherche 05-09, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Jacques Silber & Michal Weber, 2005. "Gini's mean difference and the measurement of absolute mobility," Metron - International Journal of Statistics, Dipartimento di Statistica, Probabilità e Statistiche Applicate - University of Rome, vol. 0(3), pages 471-492.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.