On the design of equal-opportunity policies
AbstractWe study in this paper mechanisms to construct equal-opportunity policies for resource allocation. In a model where individuals enjoy welfare as a function of the e ort they expend, and the amount of a socially provided resource they consume, the aim is to allocate the social resource so that the inequality of welfare across individuals at the same relative e ort level is minimized. In doing so, and as opposed to other existing mechanisms for the design of equal-opportunity policies, we account for the hypothetical relative deprivation among equally-deserving individuals. Besides studying these mechanisms generically, we analyze their performance in the context of the delivery of health care resources.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Fundación SEPI in its journal Investigaciones Económicas.
Volume (Year): 31 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Investigaciones Economicas Fundación SEPI Quintana, 2 (planta 3) 28008 Madrid Spain
Web page: http://www.fundacionsepi.es/
Other versions of this item:
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- H00 - Public Economics - - General - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gustavo A. Marrero & Juan Gabriel Rodríguez, 2010. "Inequality of opportunity in Europe: Economic and policy facts," Working Papers 172, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Juan Rodríguez, 2008. "Partial equality-of-opportunity orderings," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 435-456, October.
- Marrero, Gustavo A. & Rodríguez, Juan G., 2013.
"Inequality of opportunity and growth,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 104(C), pages 107-122.
- Daniele Checchi & Vito Peragine & Laura Serlenga, 2010.
"Fair and unfair income inequalities in Europe,"
174, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Checchi, Daniele & Peragine, Vito & Serlenga, Laura, 2010. "Fair and Unfair Income Inequalities in Europe," IZA Discussion Papers 5025, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Daniele Checchi & Vito Peragine & Laura Serlenga, 2010. "Fair and unfair income inequalities in Europe," CHILD Working Papers wp06_10, CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY.
- Daniele Checchi & Vito Peragine, 2010. "Inequality of opportunity in Italy," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 429-450, December.
- Gustavo A. Marrero & Juan G. Rodriguez, 2012. "Macroeconomic determinants of inequality of opportunity and effort in the US: 1970-2009," Working Papers 249, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Isabel Sánchez-Seco).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.