Microfinance for Micro Enterprise Development: An Inquiry for a New Paradigm
AbstractMicrofinance is relatively a recent experiment against poverty alleviation in developing countries. Originally it started as a new institutional strategy to fill the gap between supply and demand for credit by the poor. The delivering of credit services to the poor either for smoothening of consumption or for the income generating activities, is called a ‘minimalist approach’ in microfinance. The major objective of this approach is to solve the problem of unemployment in general and micro enterprise development in particular by supplying financial products. But, over the years it has been realized that this approach has failed in unleashing the micro entrepreneurship among the poor. Hence, as an alternative, the microfinance sector should be redesigned in such a way that it delivers both financial and non-financial services to the poor. In this line of thought the current paper attempts to present the new paradigm for the development of micro enterprises through microfinance within the framework of ‘maximalist approach’. The empirical study of maximalist approach shows that microfinance will be a true lubricant for micro enterprise development only when the finance flows with the non-financial services, which have a greater positive impact on the livelihood of the poor.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by IUP Publications in its journal The IUP Journal of Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): VI (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bruton, Garry D. & Ketchen, David J. & Ireland, R. Duane, 2013. "Entrepreneurship as a solution to poverty," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 683-689.
- Naveen K Shetty, 2008. "The Microfinance Promise in Financial Inclusion and Welfare of the Poor: Evidence from Karnataka, India," Working Papers 205 Keyword : Banking, Mi, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (G R K Murty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.