A Marshall-Walras Divide? A Critical Review of the Prevailing Viewpoints
AbstractThe aim of this essay is to examine economists' views about the relationship between Marshallian and Walrasian theory. Are they complementary, as is usually believed, or do they constitute alternative research programs? I compare two viewpoints on this matter, the conciliatory and the antagonistic. After describing these, I present my own standpoint: I believe that there is a Marshall–Walras divide, but I have serious objections to the way in which the argument for this divide is usually made. In the last part of the paper, I examine the view held by several authors that an embryonic general equilibrium model is to be found in Marshall's Principles
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Duke University Press in its journal History of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 41 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (Winter)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Duke University Press 905 W. Main Street, Suite 18B Durham, NC 27701
Phone: (919) 660-1800
Fax: (919) 684-8974
Web page: http://www.dukeupress.edu/Catalog/ViewProduct.php?viewby=journal&productid=45614
Marshallian theory; Walrasian theory;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michel DE VROEY & Pedro GARCIA DUARTE, 2012.
"In Search Of Lost Time: The Neoclassical Synthesis,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2012026, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- De Vroey Michel & Duarte Pedro Garcia, 2013. "In search of lost time: the neoclassical synthesis," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 13(1), pages 1-31, January.
- Pedro Garcia Duarte & Michel De Vroey, 2014. "In Search Of Lost Time: The Neoclassicalsynthesis," Anais do XL Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 40th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 005, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Michel De Vroey & Pedro Garcia Duarte, 2012. "In Search of Lost Time: The Neoclassical Synthesis," Working Papers, Department of Economics 2012_07, University of São Paulo (FEA-USP).
- Yahya Madra & Fikret Adaman, 2013. "Neoliberal reason and its forms:Depoliticization through economization," Working Papers 2013/07, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Center for the History of Political Economy Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.