The Financial and Operating Performance of China's Newly Privatized Firms
AbstractThis study examines the pre- and post-privatization financial and operating performance of 208 firms privatized in China during the period 1990-97. The full sample results show significant improvements in real output, real assets, and sales efficiency, and significant declines in leverage following privatization, but no significant change in profitability. Further analysis shows that privatized firms experience significant improvements in profitability compared to fully state- owned enterprises during the same period. Firms in which more than 50% voting control is conveyed to private investors via privatization experience significantly greater improvements in profitability, employment, and sales efficiency compared to those that remain under the state’s control. Privatization seems to work in China, especially the more private firms become.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 32 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (Summer)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331 Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.fma.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Estrin, Saul & Tian, Lihui, 2005.
"Retained State Shareholding in Chinese PLCs: Does Government Ownership Reduce Corporate Value?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4919, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lihui Tian & Saul Estrin, 2005. "Retained State Shareholding in Chinese PLCs: Does Government Ownership Reduce Corporate Value?," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp750, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Tian, Lihui & Estrin, Saul, 2005. "Retained State Shareholding in Chinese PLCs: Does Government Ownership Reduce Corporate Value?," IZA Discussion Papers 1493, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Tian, Lihui & Estrin, Saul, 2008. "Retained state shareholding in Chinese PLCs: Does government ownership always reduce corporate value?," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 74-89, March.
- Jorge Pinilla & Joaquim Vergés, 2007. "Efectos De La Privatización En La Eficiencia De Iberia Líneas Aéreas De España S.A," Revista Economía y Administración, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Administrativas, Universidad de Concepción, vol. 69, pages 7-38, December.
- Berkman, Henk & Cole, Rebel & Fu, Lawrence, 2007. "Improving corporate governance where the State is the controlling block holder: Evidence from China," MPRA Paper 8088, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chan, Kam C. & Fung, Hung-Gay & Thapa, Samanta, 2007. "China financial research: A review and synthesis," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 416-428.
- Bradford, William & Chen, Chao & Zhu, Song, 2013. "Cash dividend policy, corporate pyramids, and ownership structure: Evidence from China," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 445-464.
- Cabeza Garcia, Laura & Gomez Anson, Silvia, 2007. "The Spanish privatisation process: Implications on the performance of divested firms," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 390-409.
- Chung, Shifei & Wei, Peihwang, 2005. "The relationship between bid-ask spreads and holding periods: The case of Chinese A and B shares," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 239-249, February.
- Aivazian, Varouj A. & Ge, Ying & Qiu, Jiaping, 2005. "Can corporatization improve the performance of state-owned enterprises even without privatization?," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(5), pages 791-808, October.
- Wan, Jiayong & Yuce, Ayse, 2007. "Listing regulations in China and their effect on the performance of IPOs and SOEs," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 366-378, September.
- Thi QuyVo & Duc Khuong Nguyen & Fredric WilliamSwierczek, 2014. "Corporate performance of privatized firms in Vietnam," Working Papers 2014-240, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Ram Mohan, T. T., . "Privatisation in China: softly, softly does it," IIMA Working Papers WP2004-09-04, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
- Wolf, C. & Pollitt, M.G., 2008. "Privatising national oil companies: Assessing the impact on firm performance," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0811, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Ang, James S. & Ding, David K., 2006. "Government ownership and the performance of government-linked companies: The case of Singapore," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 64-88, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Connors) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Courtney Connors to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.