Further Evidence on Compensation Committee Composition as a Determinant of CEO Compensation
AbstractI use more than 1,500 firm-year observations for 271 US firms between 1991-1997 to examine the relation between insider membership in compensation committees and CEO pay. I find a steady decline in the number of committees with insider participation during the sample period, and uncover some opportunism by insiders in setting pay prior to the compensation disclosure and tax reforms. Finally, I document changes in pay practices that would be consistent with the intent of these reforms. Based on this evidence, however, I cannot definitively conclude whether the reforms were efficient.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 32 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (Summer)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331 Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.fma.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sharma, Vineeta, 2011. "Independent directors and the propensity to pay dividends," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 1001-1015, September.
- Géraldine Broye & Yves Moulin, 2010. "Rémunération des dirigeants et gouvernance des entreprises:le cas des entreprises françaises cotées," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 13(1), pages 67-98., March.
- Gius, Mark P., 2007. "Using Panel Data to Estimate the Economic Determinants of CEO Compensation," Review of Applied Economics, Review of Applied Economics, vol. 3(1-2).
- Charles Piot, 2005. "Les Comités De Rémunération Et De Sélection Sont-Ils Perçus Comme Des Mécanismes De Contrôle En France ?," Post-Print halshs-00581273, HAL.
- Udi Hoitash, 2011. "Should Independent Board Members with Social Ties to Management Disqualify Themselves from Serving on the Board?," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 99(3), pages 399-423, March.
- Charles Piot, 2006. "Les déterminants de l’existence et de l’indépendance managériale des comités de rémunération et de sélection en France," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 9(2), pages 159-185, June.
- Craig Peterson & James Philpot, 2007. "Womenâ€™s Roles on U.S. Fortune 500 Boards: Director Expertise and Committee Memberships," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 72(2), pages 177-196, May.
- Ertimur, Yonca & Ferri, Fabrizio & Maber, David A., 2012. "Reputation penalties for poor monitoring of executive pay: Evidence from option backdating," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 118-144.
- Sun, Jerry & Cahan, Steven F. & Emanuel, David, 2009. "Compensation committee governance quality, chief executive officer stock option grants, and future firm performance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1507-1519, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Connors) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Courtney Connors to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.