Board Independence and Compensation Policies in Large Bank Holding Companies
AbstractWe use a sample of large bank holding companies to empirically examine the association between financial performance and organizational structure. We regress firm accounting performance on measures of board independence, CEO pay-performance sensitivity, the product of board independence and CEO pay-performance sensitivity, and other organizational features and control variables. We find that both CEO pay-performance sensitivity and the relative tenure of independent outside directors have a positive effect on accounting performance. Their interactive effect tends to be negative. Thus, the marginal value of each mechanism for accounting performance declines as the use of the other mechanism increases. These results are robust in a simultaneous equations framework that accounts for endogeneity issues. We also find a positive relation between the percentage of independent outside directors and CEO pay-performance sensitivity.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 29 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 (Fall)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331 Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.fma.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marisela Santiago-Castro & Cynthia Brown, 2011. "Corporate governance, expropriation of minority shareholders’ rights, and performance of Latin American enterprises," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 7(4), pages 429-447, November.
- Webb Cooper, Elizabeth, 2009. "Monitoring and governance of private banks," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 253-264, May.
- Piet Eichholtz & Nils Kok & Roger Otten, 2008. "Executive Compensation in UK Property Companies," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 36(4), pages 405-426, May.
- Elizabeth W. Cooper, 2011. "Determinants of off-balance sheet usage in private banks," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 28(4), pages 248-259, October.
- Wang, Wei-Kang & Lu, Wen-Min & Lin, Yi-Ling, 2012. "Does corporate governance play an important role in BHC performance? Evidence from the U.S," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 751-760.
- Chinmoy Ghosh & C. Sirmans, 2005. "On REIT CEO Compensation: Does Board Structure Matter?," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 397-428, June.
- Chinmoy Ghosh & C. Sirmans, 2006. "Do Managerial Motives Impact Dividend Decisions in REITs?," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 327-355, May.
- Ali Dardour, 2008. "Les déterminants de la rémunération des dirigeants des sociétés cotées en France," Post-Print halshs-00522506, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Connors) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Courtney Connors to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.