Does the Choice of Auditor Convey Quality in an Initial Public Offering?
AbstractTo investigate the effect of reputation on auditor business decisions, we look at the relationship between auditor reputation and the characteristics of the IPOs that auditors take to the market. Consistent with our hypotheses, we find that: 1) More prestigious auditors are associated with IPOs that seem a priori less risky; 2) the market perceives as less risky the IPOs that are associated with more prestigious auditors; and 3) IPOs' long-term performance is related to the prestigious of the auditor employed.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 24 (1995)
Issue (Month): 4 (Winter)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331 Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.fma.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nahata, Rajarishi, 2008. "Venture capital reputation and investment performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 127-151, November.
- William Dimovski & Christopher Kelly, 2004. "The Importance of Audit Committees in Initial Public Offerings," Accounting, Finance, Financial Planning and Insurance Series 2004_13, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- William Dimovski & Simmala Philavanh & Robert Brooks, 2011. "Underwriter reputation and underpricing: evidence from the Australian IPO market," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 37(4), pages 409-426, November.
- Pei-Gi Shu & Yin-Hua Yeh & Shean-Bii Chiu & Fu-Sheng Ho, 2011. "The reputation effect of venture capital," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 36(4), pages 533-554, May.
- Dimovski, William & Brooks, Robert, 2004. "Do you really want to ask an underwriter how much money you should leave on the table?," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 267-280, July.
- David Hirshleifer & Siew Hong Teoh, 2003.
"Herd Behaviour and Cascading in Capital Markets: a Review and Synthesis,"
European Financial Management,
European Financial Management Association, vol. 9(1), pages 25-66.
- Hirshleifer, David & Teoh, Siew Hong, 2001. "Herd Behavior and Cascading in Capital Markets: A Review and Synthesis," MPRA Paper 5186, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Minardi, Andrea Maria Accioly Fonseca & Ferrari, Guilherme Lopes & AraújoTavares, Pedro Carvalho, 2013. "Performances of Brazilian IPOs backed by private equity," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(3), pages 448-455.
- Ricardo Leal & André Carvalhal-da-Silva, 2005. "Conducción y valor empresarial en Brasil (y Chile)," Research Department Publications 3209, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Anis Mnif, 2009. "Board Of Directors And The Pricing Of Initial Public Offerings (Ipos): Does The Existence Of A Properly Structured Board Matter? Evidence From France," Post-Print halshs-00459257, HAL.
- William Dimovski & Robert Brooks, 2006. "The Pricing of Property Trust IPOs in Australia," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 185-199, March.
- Puan Yatim, 2010. "Board structures and the establishment of a risk management committee by Malaysian listed firms," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 17-36, February.
- Ricardo Leal & André Carvalhal-da-Silva, 2005. "Corporate Governance and Value in Brazil (and in Chile)," Research Department Publications 3208, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Guenther, David A. & Willenborg, Michael, 1999. "Capital gains tax rates and the cost of capital for small business: evidence from the IPO market," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 385-408, September.
- William Dimovski & Robert Brooks, 2003. "Financial characteristics of Australian initial public offerings from 1994 to 1999," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(14), pages 1599-1607.
- Hirshleifer, David & Teoh, Siew Hong, 2008.
"Thought and Behavior Contagion in Capital Markets,"
9164, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Smart, Scott B. & Zutter, Chad J., 2003. "Control as a motivation for underpricing: a comparison of dual and single-class IPOs," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 85-110, July.
- Dimovski, William & Brooks, Robert, 2008. "The underpricing of gold mining initial public offerings," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 1-16, January.
- Kanagaretnam, Kiridaran & Krishnan, Gopal V. & Lobo, Gerald J., 2009. "Is the market valuation of banks' loan loss provision conditional on auditor reputation?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1039-1047, June.
- Garner, Jacqueline L. & Marshall, Beverly B., 2010. "The non-7% solution," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1664-1674, July.
- Daily, Catherine M. & Certo, S. Trevis & Dalton, Dan R., 2005. "Investment bankers and IPO pricing: does prospectus information matter?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 93-111, January.
- Mitton, Todd, 2002. "A cross-firm analysis of the impact of corporate governance on the East Asian financial crisis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 215-241, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Connors) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Courtney Connors to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.