Postacquisition Performance of Acquiring Firms
AbstractWe investigate whether negative postacquisition stock-price performance of acquiring firms is a genuine phenomenon or a statistical artifact. Using a comprehensive sample of domestic acquisitions in the 1966-1986 period, we show that acquiring firms underperform a control portfolio only during the three years but not five years following the acquisition. There is evidence of negative performance in the second and third postacquisition years, but that performance occurs mainly in the 1960s and 1970s, and disappears in the 1980s. Thus, especially in the later years, the postacquisition years do not provide convincing evidence of wasteful corporate acquisitions, or strong evidence that contradicts market efficiency.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 21 (1992)
Issue (Month): 3 (Fall)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331 Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.fma.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hopkins, H. Donald & Chaganti, Raj & Kotabe, Masaaki & Co-editors, 1999. "Cross-border mergers and acquisitions: Global and regional perspectives," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 207-239.
- Martynova, Marina & Renneboog, Luc, 2008. "A century of corporate takeovers: What have we learned and where do we stand?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 2148-2177, October.
- Robert Campbell & Erasmo Giambona & C. Sirmans, 2009. "The Long-Horizon Performance of REIT Mergers," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 105-114, February.
- Jan-Peer Laabs & Dirk Schiereck, 2010. "The long-term success of M&A in the automotive supply industry: determinants of capital market performance," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 61-88, January.
- Gugler, Klaus & Mueller, Dennis C. & Weichselbaumer, Michael, 2012. "The determinants of merger waves: An international perspective," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 1-15.
- Linn, Scott C. & Switzer, Jeannette A., 2001. "Are cash acquisitions associated with better postcombination operating performance than stock acquisitions?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 1113-1138, June.
- Wiggenhorn, Joan & Gleason, Kimberly C. & Madura, Jeff, 2007. "Going public to pursue acquisitions," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 331-351, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Connors) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Courtney Connors to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.