Detecting Abnormal Operating Performance: Revisited
AbstractFirms that undertake corporate events often exhibit atypical financial characteristics, such that future performance might be expected to change even before the event is announced. I investigate five methods for generating control samples in various sampling situations. The results indicate that the methods sometimes produce severely biased test statistics. Overall, the method that generates control firms with similar prior levels and changes of performance and similar market-to-book ratios produces the most reliable test statistics. Furthermore, I find that it is more important to control for levels of performance than for changes in performance and market-to-book ratios.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 30 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 (Summer)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331 Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.fma.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Vojislav Maksimovic & Gordon Phillips & N. R. Prabhala, 2008.
"Post-Merger Restructuring and the Boundaries of the Firm,"
NBER Working Papers
14291, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maksimovic, Vojislav & Phillips, Gordon & Prabhala, N.R., 2011. "Post-merger restructuring and the boundaries of the firm," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 317-343.
- Vojislav Maksimovic & Gordon Phillips & Nagpurnanand Prabhala, 2011. "Post-Merger Restructuring and the Boundaries of the Firm," Working Papers 11-11, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Lie, Erik, 2005. "Operating performance following open market share repurchase announcements," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 411-436, September.
- Davies, Ryan J. & Kim, Sang Soo, 2009. "Using matched samples to test for differences in trade execution costs," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 173-202, May.
- Alderson, Michael J. & Betker, Brian L., 2006. "The specification and power of tests to detect abnormal changes in corporate investment," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 738-760, September.
- Erich Battistin & Paolo Bortoluzzi & Fabio Buttignon & Martina Serafini & Marco Vedovato, 2013. "The Effects of Private Equity on Targets: Majority versus Minority Investments," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0167, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Dirk Jenter & Katharina Lewellen & Jerold B. Warner, 2006.
"Security Issue Timing: What Do Managers Know, and When Do They Know It?,"
NBER Working Papers
12724, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dirk Jenter & Katharina Lewellen & Jerold B. Warner, 2011. "Security Issue Timing: What Do Managers Know, and When Do They Know It?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 66(2), pages 413-443, 04.
- Boone, Audra L. & Ivanov, Vladimir I., 2012. "Bankruptcy spillover effects on strategic alliance partners," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(3), pages 551-569.
- Ryan J. Davies, 2001. "Matching and the Estimated Impact of Inter-listing (updated July 2003)," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2001-11, Henley Business School, Reading University, revised Jun 2003.
- Lie, Erik, 2005. "Operating performance following dividend decreases and omissions," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 27-53, December.
- Dmitri Boreiko & Maurizio Murgia, 2013. "European spin-offs Origin, value creation, and long-term performance," BEMPS - Bozen Economics & Management Paper Series BEMPS05, School of Economics and Management at the Free University of Bozen.
- Massa, Massimo & Rehman, Zahid & Vermaelen, Theo, 2007. "Mimicking repurchases," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(3), pages 624-666, June.
- Jory, Surendranath R. & Madura, Jeff, 2009. "Acquisitions of bankrupt assets," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 748-759, August.
- Chen, Sheng-Syan & Ho, Kim Wai & Huang, Chia-Wei & Wang, Yanzhi, 2013. "Buyback behavior of initial public offering firms," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 32-42.
- Huang, Gow-Cheng & Liano, Kartono & Pan, Ming-Shiun, 2009. "The information content of stock splits," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 557-567, September.
- Montes, María J. & Corbett, Charles J. & Kirsch, David A., 2005. "The financial impact of ISO 9000 certification in the United States: an empirical analysis," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/7750, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Balachandran, Balasingham & Krishnamurti, Chandrasekhar & Theobald, Michael & Vidanapathirana, Berty, 2012. "Dividend reductions, the timing of dividend payments and information content," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 1232-1247.
- Arena, Matteo P. & Ferris, Stephen P., 2007. "When managers bypass shareholder approval of board appointments: Evidence from the private security market," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 485-510, September.
- Hung, Weifeng & Chiao, Chaoshin & Liao, Tung Liang & Huang, Sheng-Tang, 2012. "R&D, risks and overreaction in a market with the absence of the book-to-market effect," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 11-24.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Connors) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Courtney Connors to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.