Currency and Interest-Rate Derivatives Use in US Firms
AbstractThis study examines derivatives use in samples of 451 Fortune 500/S&P 500 (FSP) firms and 461 randomly selected firms. We find that over 61% of the FSP firms and 36% of the random firms use derivatives. In both samples, swaps are the most often used interest-rate contract, and forwards and futures the most often used currency contract. The determinants of derivatives use differ across samples and definitions of derivatives use, and are largely consistent with theory. One exception is that the random firms' derivatives use and the theoretical determinants are not strongly related.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 27 (1998)
Issue (Month): 4 (Winter)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331 Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.fma.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Elliott, William B. & Huffman, Stephen P. & Makar, Stephen D., 2003. "Foreign-denominated debt and foreign currency derivatives: complements or substitutes in hedging foreign currency risk?," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 123-139, April.
- Boyle, Glenn W. & Guthrie, Graeme A., 2006. "Hedging the value of waiting," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1245-1267, April.
- Gianluca Bison & Loriana Pellizzon & Domenico Sartore, 2002. "La copertura dei rischi finanziari nelle imprese non finanziarie italiane attraverso gli strumenti derivati," Moneta e Credito, Economia civile, vol. 55(217), pages 55-75.
- Muller, Aline & Verschoor, Willem F.C., 2006. "Foreign exchange risk exposure: Survey and suggestions," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 385-410, October.
- Bartram, Söhnke M., 2004.
"The Use of Options in Corporate Risk Management,"
6663, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hongming Huang & Yildiray Yildirim, 2008. "Leverage, options liabilities, and corporate bond pricing," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 245-276, October.
- Söhnke M. Bartram & Gregory W. Brown & Frank R. Fehle, 2009.
"International Evidence on Financial Derivatives Usage,"
Financial Management Association International, vol. 38(1), pages 185-206, 03.
- Sohnke M. Bartram & Gregory W. Brown & Frank R. Fehle, 2003. "International Evidence on Financial Derivatives Usage," Finance 0307003, EconWPA, revised 24 Jul 2003.
- Aretz, Kevin & Bartram, Söhnke M., 2009.
"Corporate Hedging and Shareholder Value,"
14088, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lin, Chen-Miao & Phillips, Richard D. & Smith, Stephen D., 2008. "Hedging, financing, and investment decisions: Theory and empirical tests," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1566-1582, August.
- Fauver, Larry & Naranjo, Andy, 2010. "Derivative usage and firm value: The influence of agency costs and monitoring problems," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 719-735, December.
- Gay, Gerald D. & Lin, Chen-Miao & Smith, Stephen D., 2011. "Corporate derivatives use and the cost of equity," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 1491-1506, June.
- Kim, Woochan & Sung, Taeyoon, 2005. "What makes firms manage FX risk?," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 263-288, September.
- Supanvanij, Janikan & Strauss, Jack, 2006. "The effects of management compensation on firm hedging: Does SFAS 133 matter?," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 475-493, December.
- Ugur Lel, 2006.
"Currency hedging and corporate governance: a cross-country analysis,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
858, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Lel, Ugur, 2012. "Currency hedging and corporate governance: A cross-country analysis," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 221-237.
- Chen-Miao Lin & Stephen D. Smith, 2005. "Hedging, financing, and investment decisions: a simultaneous equations framework," Working Paper 2005-05, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Supanvanij, Janikan & Strauss, Jack, 2010. "Corporate derivative use and the composition of CEO compensation," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 170-185.
- Constantin Mellios, 2003. "La gestion des risques financiers par les entreprises : explications théoriques versus études empiriques," Revue d'Économie Financière, Programme National Persée, vol. 72(3), pages 243-264.
- Kim, Young Sang & Nam, Jouahn & Thornton Jr., John H., 2008. "The effect of managerial bonus plans on corporate derivatives usage," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 229-243, July.
- Constantin Mellios, 2001. "La gestion des risques financiers par les entreprises : explications théoriques versus études théoriques," Working Papers 2001-9, Laboratoire Orléanais de Gestion - université d'Orléans.
- Monda, Barbara & Giorgino, Marco & Modolin, Ileana, 2013. "Rationales for Corporate Risk Management - A Critical Literature Review," MPRA Paper 45420, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Connors) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Courtney Connors to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.