A Market Microstructure Explanation of Ex-Day Abnormal Returns
AbstractSeveral authors have previously determined that abnormal returns exist on ex-cash dividend days and ex-stock dividend days. In other words, stocks do not, on average, fall by the dividend amount, or fully adjust to stock distributions on ex-days. This paper proposes that NYSE Rule 118 and AMEX Rule 132 are a determinant of those ex-day abnormal returns.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 21 (1992)
Issue (Month): 4 (Winter)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331 Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.fma.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Murphy, A. & Schlag, C., 1999. "An empirical examination of the effect of dividend taxation on asset pricing and returns in Germany," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 35-52.
- Sorjonen, Pasi, 2002. "Ex-Dividend Day Stock Returns and Tick Rules," Discussion Papers 675, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Jeff Whitworth & Yi Zhang, 2010. "Accrued capital gains and ex-dividend day pricing," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 36(8), pages 680-702, August.
- Jakob, Keith & Ma, Tongshu, 2004. "Tick size, NYSE rule 118, and ex-dividend day stock price behavior," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(3), pages 605-625, June.
- Sorjonen, Pasi, 2002. "Ex-Dividend Day Stock Price Behavior, Taxes and Discrete Prices; A Simulation Experiment," Discussion Papers 676, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Dhatt, Manjeet S. & Kim, Yong H. & Mukherji, Sandip, 1996. "Is the stock dividend ex-day effect due to market microstructure?: Contrary evidence from Korea," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 89-99.
- Bali, Rakesh & Hite, Gailen L., 1998. "Ex dividend day stock price behavior: discreteness or tax-induced clienteles?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 127-159, February.
- Al-Yahyaee, Khamis Hamed, 2014. "Shareholder wealth effects of stock dividends in a unique environment," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 66-81.
- Maria Borges, 2008. "The Ex-Dividend Day Stock Price Behavior: The Case of Portugal," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 36(1), pages 15-30, March.
- Castillo, Augusto & Jakob, Keith, 2006. "The Chilean ex-dividend day," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 105-118, September.
- Hartzmark, Samuel M. & Solomon, David H., 2013. "The dividend month premium," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 109(3), pages 640-660.
- William Hardin & Kartono Liano & Gow-Cheng Huang & Gregory Nagel, 2007. "REITs, Decimalization, and Ex-dividend Stock Prices," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 34(4), pages 499-511, May.
- Kadapakkam, Palani-Rajan & Martinez, Valeria, 2008. "Ex-dividend returns: The Mexican puzzle," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 2453-2461, November.
- Dubofsky, David, 1997. "Limit orders and ex-dividend day return distributions," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 47-65, January.
- William Hardin & Gow-Cheng Huang & Kartono Liano, 2012. "Dividend Size, Yield, Clienteles and REITs," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 45(2), pages 435-449, August.
- Kadapakkam, Palani-Rajan & Meisami, Alex & Shi, Yilun, 2010. "Lost in translation: Delayed ex-dividend price adjustments of Hong Kong ADRs," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 647-655, March.
- Frankfurter, George M. & Wood, Bob Jr., 2002. "Dividend policy theories and their empirical tests," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 111-138.
- Efthymiou, Vassilis A. & Leledakis, George N., 2013. "Intraday analysis of the limit order bias at the ex-dividend day of U.S. common stocks," MPRA Paper 49770, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Connors) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Courtney Connors to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.