IPO Underpricing and Insurance Against Legal Liability
AbstractInitial public offerings (IPOs) of equity are typically underpriced on the day of the offering. A frequently mentioned explanation for this puzzling phenomenon relies on issuers' desire to avoid legal liabilities under federal securities laws for misstatements in the offering prospectus or registration statement. According to this "lawsuit avoidance hypothesis," large positive returns from offer price to early after market trading reduce (i) the probability of a lawsuit, (ii) the conditional probability of an adverse judgment if a lawsuit is filed, and (iii) the amount of damages in the event of an adverse judgment.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 22 (1993)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331 Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.fma.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Diro Ejara, Demissew & Ghosh, Chinmoy, 2004. "Underpricing and aftermarket performance of American depositary receipts (ADR) IPOs," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 3151-3186, December.
- Dimitris F. Kenourgios & Spyros Papathanasiou & Emmanouil Rafail Melas, 2007.
"Initial performance of Greek IPOs, underwriter's reputation and oversubscription,"
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 33(5), pages 332-343.
- Dimitris Kenourgios & Spyros Papathanasiou & Emmanouil Rafail Melas, 2005. "Initial Performance of Greek IPOs, Underwriter’s Reputation and Oversubscription," Finance 0512023, EconWPA.
- M. Martin Boyer, 2003. "Is the Demand for Corporate Insurance a Habit? Evidence from Directors' and Officers' Insurance," CIRANO Working Papers 2003s-42, CIRANO.
- Hensler, Douglas A. & Herrera, Martin J. & Lockwood, Larry J., 2000. "The performance of initial public offerings in the Mexican stock market, 1987-1993," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 93-116, February.
- Jain, Bharat A. & Kini, Omesh, 1999. "On investment banker monitoring in the new issues market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 49-84, January.
- Pettway, Richard H. & Kaneko, Takashi, 1996. "The effects of removing price limits and introducing auctions upon short-term IPO returns: The case of Japanese IPOs," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 4(2-3), pages 241-258, July.
- Schill, Michael J., 2004. "Sailing in rough water: market volatility and corporate finance," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 659-681, November.
- Hanley, Kathleen Weiss & Hoberg, Gerard, 2012.
"Litigation risk, strategic disclosure and the underpricing of initial public offerings,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 103(2), pages 235-254.
- Kathleen Weiss Hanley & Gerard Hoberg, 2011. "Litigation risk, strategic disclosure and the underpricing of initial public offerings," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2011-12, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Lowry, Michelle & Shu, Susan, 2002. "Litigation risk and IPO underpricing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 309-335, September.
- Jay Ritter & Ivo Welch, 2002.
"A Review of IPO Activity, Pricing, and Allocations,"
NBER Working Papers
8805, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jay R. Ritter & Ivo Welch, 2002. "A Review of IPO Activity, Pricing, and Allocations," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(4), pages 1795-1828, 08.
- Nanda, Vikram & Yun, Youngkeol, 1997. "Reputation and Financial Intermediation: An Empirical Investigation of the Impact of IPO Mispricing on Underwriter Market Value," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 39-63, January.
- Josef Anton Schuster, 2003. "The cross-section of European IPO returns," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24859, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Crutchley, Claire E. & Minnick, Kristina, 2012. "Cash versus incentive compensation: Lawsuits and director pay," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(7), pages 907-913.
- Steib, Stefan & Mohan, Nancy, 1997. "The German reunification, changing capital market conditions, and the performance of German initial public offerings," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 115-137.
- Qi Huang & Richard M. Levich, 1999. "Underpricing of New Equity Offerings by Privatized Firms: An International Test," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 99-075, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Hao, (Grace) Qing, 2011. "Securities litigation, withdrawal risk and initial public offerings," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 438-456, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Connors) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Courtney Connors to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.