Understanding the Endogeneity Between Firm Value and Shareholder Rights
AbstractI explore the relation between firm value and the shareholder rights-based Governance Index “G,” which has become a popular measure of governance quality among researchers and investors. I show that the relation is not spuriously driven by unobservable firm heterogeneity or an assortment of observable firm characteristics, such as firm growth potential and profitability. The causality seems to run from G to firm value, rather than from firm value to G. My results suggest that granting more rights to shareholders could be an effective way to reduce agency costs and enhance firm value.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 34 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (Winter)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331 Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.fma.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chi, Jianxin Daniel & Scott Lee, D., 2010. "The conditional nature of the value of corporate governance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 350-361, February.
- Sylvie Berthelot & Claude Francoeur & Réal Labelle, 2012. "Corporate governance mechanisms, accounting results and stock valuation in Canada," International Journal of Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 8(4), pages 332-343.
- Chi, Jianxin (Daniel) & Gupta, Manu, 2009. "Overvaluation and earnings management," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(9), pages 1652-1663, September.
- Autore, Don M. & Kovacs, Tunde & Sharma, Vivek, 2009. "Do analyst recommendations reflect shareholder rights?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 193-202, February.
- Arena, Matteo P. & Braga-Alves, Marcus V., 2013. "The discretionary effect of CEOs and board chairs on corporate governance structures," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(C), pages 121-131.
- Harris, Oneil & Glegg, Charmaine, 2009. "Governance quality and privately negotiated stock repurchases: Evidence of agency conflict," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 317-325, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Connors) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Courtney Connors to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.