Concorrenza e trasparenza nel mercato delle opere pubbliche locali: un'indagine empirica
AbstractCompetition and transparency in public procurement: a survey - Italy suffers of a chronic lack of modern infrastructures. The market for public works is as a whole not transparent and inefficient in terms of costs and time of completion of the works; greater competition could improve the situation. The limitations to greater competition in the market for public works are manifold: i) asymmetric information, which has strong effects on the procedures for the firms’ choice and on works contracts; ii) barriers to entry, due to the fragmented supply structure (many small firms) operating in segmented local markets. The analysis, based on direct surveys on local authorities and construction firms, highlights additional problems: i) the fragmentation of demand for local public works; very often the small local authorities do not have project expertise and the ability of implementing the necessary coordination with other local authorities; ii) an inefficient public monitoring on work progress; iii) a lack of reputational requirements, that take into account past behaviour, for the potential public works producers. JEL: D44, D74, D81, H54, H57 Keywords: public procurement, asymmetric information
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by FrancoAngeli Editore in its journal ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE.
Volume (Year): 2007/2 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.francoangeli.it/riviste/sommario.asp?IDRivista=13
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D44 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Auctions
- D74 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Conflict; Conflict Resolution; Alliances
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- H54 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Infrastructures
- H57 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Procurement
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bentivogli, Chiara & Casadio, Piero & Cullino, Roberto, 2010. "I problemi nella realizzazione delle opere pubbliche: le specificitÃ del Mezzogiorno," MPRA Paper 29385, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chiara D'Alpaos & Michele Moretto & Paola Valbonesi, 2008. "Optimal penalty for investment delay in public procurement contracts," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0074, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angelo Ventriglia).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.