Desenvolvimento e desequilíbrio industrial no Rio Grande do Sul: uma análise secular evolucionária
AbstractDevelopment and industrial unbalance in Rio Grande do Sul: an evolutionary secular analysis - This present paper applies both the institutionalistic and neo-Schumpeterian approaches in order to understand the dynamics of industrial development and the consequent evolution of the economic unbalance of the State of Rio Grande do Sul. The hypothesis is that two path dependencies were originated, one was dynamic and the other was not. Such path dependencies were determined widely by technological factors and by the institutional matrix of the two ?halves?. Present in the original path, elements of long duration such as ownership rights, learning, social structure, ideology, habits, public policies and inovations, all produced local private industries, which explain the course of industrial development and the regional stability of this State. The evolutionary analysis shows two crucial periods for the understanding of the industrial development of Rio Grande do Sul: the beginning of the Old Republic and the beginning of the second half of the 20th Century. In both those moments, Rio Grande do Sul?s economy was going through a crisis, but soon afterward it was restructured. The Northern Half was the region responsible for the technoproductive change in both periods, thus consolidating itself as the dynamic industrial matrix.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Instituto de Economia, Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP) in its journal Revista Economia e Sociedade.
Volume (Year): 40 (2010)
Issue (Month): (August)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Caixa Postal: 6135 - CEP 13083-970, Campinas - SP - Brasil
Phone: (019) 788-5726
Fax: (019) 289-1512
Web page: http://www.eco.unicamp.br/
More information through EDIRC
Industrial development; Industrialization; Economic development; Rio Grande do Sul; Regional inequal;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marcelo Arend & Silvio Antonio Feraz Cário, 2004. "Path Dependence, Lock-In, Catching-Up, Embeddedness E Desequilíbrio Na Trajetória De Desenvolvimento Industrial Do Rio Grande Do Sul No Século Xx," Anais do XXXII Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 32th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 125, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antonio Carlos Macedo e Silva).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.