Apropriação tecnológica na economia do conhecimento: inovação e propriedade intelectual de software na América Latina
AbstractTechnology appropriation in knowledge economy: innovation and intellectual property in Latin American software industry Intellectual property rights aim at providing incentives for innovation, but can also constitute a burden for technological diffusion. This article discusses the conflicts arising from software patent protection, an area in which the assets are intangible and replicable at almost no cost. Current practices of intellectual property (IP) protection in Latin America are discussed based on their efficiency in stimulating information technologies innovation and diffusion. The methodology adopted includes the analysis of regional software industry development, firms? strategies to protect IP, legislation and the examination of software patents submission at the Brazilian IP Office (INPI). It concludes that harmonizing conflicting interests among existing and new business models and international agreements is a major task that goes beyond pure technical considerations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Instituto de Economia, Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP) in its journal Revista Economia e Sociedade.
Volume (Year): 38 (2009)
Issue (Month): (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Caixa Postal: 6135 - CEP 13083-970, Campinas - SP - Brasil
Phone: (019) 788-5726
Fax: (019) 289-1512
Web page: http://www.eco.unicamp.br/
More information through EDIRC
Intellectual property; Software ? Latin America; Innovation; Technology diffusion.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L17 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Open Source Products and Markets
- L87 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Postal and Delivery Services
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- O34 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Intellectual Property and Intellectual Capital
- M15 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - IT Management
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antonio Carlos Macedo e Silva).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.