Necessary Levels, Costs and Policies for International Reserves in Latin America
AbstractThis article examines the dynamic growth of international reserves for the entire group of Latin American countries in an international comparative perspective and with respect to variables such as imports, current account balances, capital flows and GDP. We also present a review of the theories to analyze the causes, and a balance of benefits and maintenance costs. We have used the Wijnholds methodology to determine the necessary levels of international reserves for the period 2005-2008, considering the commitments of public and private external debt in the short term, and potential leakage of deposits from the local financial system. It is estimated that, for the last year, levels of excess reserves are equivalent to between US$ 170-200 billions. Also, the annual maintenance cost is equivalent to 0.8 per cent of GDP for all the countries surveyed. Finally, it outlines a set of proposals to take advantage of these circumstances.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by in its journal Economia Mexicana NUEVA EPOCA.
Volume (Year): XX (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (January-June)
Contact details of provider:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
- Y - Miscellaneous Categories
- F37 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Finance Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Javier Gómez Restrepo & Juan Sebastián Rojas Bohórquez, 2013. "Assessing Reserve Adequacy: The Colombian Case," Borradores de Economia 781, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ricardo Tiscareño).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.