Financial Development and Economic Growth: Time Series Evidence for the case of UK
AbstractThis paper investigates the effects of financial and stock market development on the process of economic growth in UK. We first present two alternative competing hypotheses regarding financial development and economic growth in terms of their casual relationships, in the context of supply-leading and demand-following hypothesis. The paper tests those two hypothesis using UK data. The evidence obtained from the cointegration and causality test strongly supports the supply-leading hypothesis, which suggests that the causal directions run from the development of the financial sector to the real sector (measured by real GDP per capita).
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cyprus Economic Society and University of Cyprus in its journal Ekonomia.
Volume (Year): 4 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (Winter)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
- G18 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Asteriou, Dimitrios, 2005.
"The Linkage between Financial Liberalization and Economic Development: Empirical Evidence from Poland,"
Journal of Economic Integration,
Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 20, pages 383-399.
- Andriesz, E. & Asteriou, D. & Pilbeam, K., 2003. "The linkage between financial liberalization and economic development: empirical evidence from Poland," Working Papers 03/03, Department of Economics, City University London.
- B. Bhaskara Rao & Toani Takirua, 2010.
"The effects of exports, aid and remittances on output: the case of Kiribati,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(11), pages 1387-1396.
- Rao, B. Bhaskara & Takirua, Toani, 2006. "The effects of exports, aid and remittances on output: The case of Kiribati," MPRA Paper 1548, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bhaskara Rao & Maheshwar Rao, 2005. "Determinants Of Growth Rate: Some Methodological Issues With Data From Fiji," Macroeconomics 0509003, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Managing Editor).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.