Monetary Policy and Boom-Bust Cycles: The Role of Central Bank Communication
AbstractCan central bank communication act as a complementary instrument when policymakers are facing boom-bust cycles? Against the background of the current discussion about introducing an additional instrument when dealing with asset price misalignments, we argue that one of the core instruments of monetary policy should be considered: central bank communication. In a stylised model, communicating the future path of policy can change the trade-off between the proactive policy of curbing asset price inflation and the reactive policy of loosening monetary policy conditions during the boom phase. We show that the additional use of communication supports the proactive strategy.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cyprus Economic Society and University of Cyprus in its journal Ekonomia.
Volume (Year): 13-14 (2010-2011)
Issue (Month): 2-1 (Winter-Summer)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Helmut Wagner, 2012. "Is harmonization of legal rules an appropriate target? Lessons from the global financial crisis," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 33(3), pages 541-564, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Managing Editor).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.