Patent information for strategic technology management
AbstractThe information in patent data can be used for strategic planning purposes. A conceptual framework is developed showing the use of patent information in core areas of technology management. This paper addresses how patent information can be used for competitor monitoring, technology assessment, R&D portfolio management, the identification and assessment of potential sources for the external generation of technological knowledge, especially by means of mergers and acquisitions, and human resource management. Indicators of patenting strategies and various portfolio concepts which can be used for these purposes are described. Because of its strategic value, it is argued that the retrieval and evaluation of patent data should be institutionalized within the organization in order to ensure the continuous and systematic use of patent information in a company's decision-making processes. How patent information becomes a core element of a firm's knowledge management system is outlined. This type of strategic patent information is geared toward two important recipients: (1) senior management who uses this information for decision-making purposes in important areas of technology management and (2) external stakeholders of the firm, such as shareholders and analysts, who have an increasing interest in assessing a firm's technological competence because of its strong impact on the firm's future competitiveness.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal World Patent Information.
Volume (Year): 25 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/654/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nikulainen, Tuomo & Hermans, Raine & Kulvik, Martti, 2006.
"Patent citations indicating present value of the biotechnology business,"
1048, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Tuomo Nikulainen & Raine Hermans & Martti Kulvik, 2008. "Patent Citations Indicating Present Value Of The Biotechnology Business," International Journal of Innovation and Technology Management (IJITM), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 5(03), pages 279-301.
- Yongtae Park & Sungjoo Lee & Sora Lee, 2012. "Patent analysis for promoting technology transfer in multi-technology industries: the Korean aerospace industry case," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 37(3), pages 355-374, June.
- Cho, Ilgu, 2012. "Assessing a relative technological competitiveness using patent and paper information at the country level: Model and application in mobile communications," 23rd European Regional ITS Conference, Vienna 2012 60395, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
- Wu, Yen-Chun Jim & Lee, Pi-Ju, 2007. "The use of patent analysis in assessing ITS innovations: US, Europe and Japan," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 568-586, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.