Liner shipping service network design with empty container repositioning
AbstractThis paper proposes a liner shipping service network design problem with combined hub-and-spoke and multi-port-calling operations and empty container repositioning. It first introduces a novel concept - segment - defined as a pair of ordered ports served by one shipping line and subsequently develops a mixed-integer linear programming model for the proposed problem. Extensive numerical experiments based on realistic Asia-Europe-Oceania shipping operations show that the proposed model can be efficiently solved by CPLEX for real-case problems. They also demonstrate the potential for large cost-savings over pure hub-and-spoke or pure multi-port-calling network, or network without considering empty container repositioning.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review.
Volume (Year): 47 (2011)
Issue (Month): 5 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600244/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wang, Shuaian, 2013. "Essential elements in tactical planning models for container liner shipping," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 84-99.
- Meng, Qiang & Wang, Shuaian, 2012. "Liner ship fleet deployment with week-dependent container shipment demand," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 222(2), pages 241-252.
- Wang, Shuaian & Meng, Qiang, 2012. "Liner ship route schedule design with sea contingency time and port time uncertainty," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 46(5), pages 615-633.
- Song, Dong-Ping & Dong, Jing-Xin, 2012. "Cargo routing and empty container repositioning in multiple shipping service routes," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 46(10), pages 1556-1575.
- Wang, Shuaian & Meng, Qiang, 2013. "Reversing port rotation directions in a container liner shipping network," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 61-73.
- Christiansen, Marielle & Fagerholt, Kjetil & Nygreen, Bjørn & Ronen, David, 2013. "Ship routing and scheduling in the new millennium," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 228(3), pages 467-483.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.