Airline competition in the British Isles
AbstractWe study the relationship between pricing and market structure on the routes connecting the UK and the Republic of Ireland. Because in 2007 the European Commission prohibited the takeover of Aer Lingus by Ryanair, the analysis focuses on their pricing strategies in particular. We use an original dataset of fares posted on-line, which allows to control for the fares' inter-temporal pattern for each specific flight and each carrier's specific yield management system. Our evidence supports the European Commission's view that the elimination of a competitor in the Irish airline market is likely to have harmful consequences for consumers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review.
Volume (Year): 46 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600244/description#description
Other versions of this item:
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ofelia Betancor & Juan Luis JimÃƒÂ©nez, 2011. "When trains go faster than planes: the strategic reaction of airlines in Spain," ERSA conference papers ersa11p295, European Regional Science Association.
- Xavier Fageda & Ricardo Flores-Fillol, 2011. "Air services on thin routes: Regional versus low-cost airlines," IREA Working Papers 201123, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Oct 2011.
- Angela Stefania Bergantino & Capozza, Claudia, 2012. "Airline Pricing Behaviour Under Limited Intermodal Competition," Working Papers 1206, SIET Società Italiana di Economia dei Trasporti e della Logistica, revised 2012.
- Fageda, Xavier & Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2012. "Air services on thin routes: Regional versus low-cost airlines," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 702-714.
- Fageda, Xavier & Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2011. "Air services on thin routes: Regional versus low-cost airlines," Working Papers 2072/179624, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Ishii, Ryosuke & Nakagawa, Kuninori, 2011. "An effect of consumer's earlier decision to purchase a discount ticket," ãã¸ãã¹åµé ã»ã³ã¿ã¼ãã£ã¹ã«ãã·ã§ã³ã»ãã¼ãã¼ (Discussion papers of the Center for Business Creation) 10252/4502, Otaru University of Commerce.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.