Container fleet sizing and empty repositioning in liner shipping systems
AbstractThis paper considers the joint container fleet sizing and empty container repositioning problem in multi-vessel, multi-port and multi-voyage shipping systems with dynamic, uncertain and imbalanced customer demands. The objective is to minimize the expected total costs including inventory-holding costs, lifting-on/lifting-off costs, transportation costs, repositioning costs, and lost-sale penalty costs. A simulation-based optimization tool is developed to optimize the container fleet size and the parameterized empty repositioning policy simultaneously. The optimization procedure is based on Genetic Algorithms and Evolutionary Strategy combined with an adjustment mechanism. Case studies are given to demonstrate the results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review.
Volume (Year): 45 (2009)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600244/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wang, Shuaian & Meng, Qiang & Liu, Zhiyuan, 2013. "Containership scheduling with transit-time-sensitive container shipment demand," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 68-83.
- Liu, Cong & Jiang, Zhibin & Liu, Liming & Geng, Na, 2013. "Solutions for flexible container leasing contracts with options under capacity and order constraints," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 403-413.
- George, David K. & Xia, Cathy H., 2011. "Fleet-sizing and service availability for a vehicle rental system via closed queueing networks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 211(1), pages 198-207, May.
- Mittal, Neha & Boile, Maria & Baveja, Alok & Theofanis, Sotiris, 2013. "Determining optimal inland-empty-container depot locations under stochastic demand," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 50-60.
- Wang, Shuaian & Meng, Qiang, 2013. "Reversing port rotation directions in a container liner shipping network," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 61-73.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.