Optimal rail-road container terminal locations on the European network
AbstractThe European transport policy has focused on sustainable transport solutions, among which intermodal transport is a key player. However, its efficiency is strongly dependent on the location of the container terminals. In this paper, a set of estimated potential locations is used as input for an iterative procedure based on the p-hub median problem that takes the variation in trans-shipment costs according to the number of trans-shipped containers into account. The final results are the optimal locations for European transfer terminals embedded in a hub-and-spoke network.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review.
Volume (Year): 45 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600244/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alumur, Sibel A. & Yaman, Hande & Kara, Bahar Y., 2012. "Hierarchical multimodal hub location problem with time-definite deliveries," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(6), pages 1107-1120.
- Ishfaq, Rafay & Sox, Charles R., 2012. "Design of intermodal logistics networks with hub delays," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 220(3), pages 629-641.
- Meisel, Frank & Kirschstein, Thomas & Bierwirth, Christian, 2013. "Integrated production and intermodal transportation planning in large scale production–distribution-networks," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 60(C), pages 62-78.
- Henttu, Ville & Hilmola, Olli-Pekka, 2011. "Financial and environmental impacts of hypothetical Finnish dry port structure," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 35-41.
- Caicedo, Felix & Diaz, Alejandra, 2013. "Case analysis of simultaneous concessions of parking meters and underground parking facilities," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 358-378.
- SteadieSeifi, M. & Dellaert, N.P. & Nuijten, W. & Van Woensel, T. & Raoufi, R., 2014. "Multimodal freight transportation planning: A literature review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 233(1), pages 1-15.
- Ishfaq, Rafay & Sox, Charles R., 2011. "Hub location-allocation in intermodal logistic networks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 210(2), pages 213-230, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.