Measuring the economic efficiency of airports: A Simar-Wilson methodology analysis
AbstractIn this paper, the innovative two-stage procedure of Simar and Wilson [Simar, L., Wilson, P.W., 2007. Estimation and inference in two stage, semi-parametric models of productive efficiency. Journal of Econometrics 136, 31-64] is used to estimate the efficiency determinants of Italian airports. In the first stage, the airports' relative technical efficiency is estimated with data envelopment analysis (DEA) to establish the airports that perform most efficiently. These airports could serve as peers to help improve performance of the least efficient airports. The paper ranks these airports according to their total productivity for the period 2001-2003. In the second stage, the Simar and Wilson (2007) procedure is used to bootstrap the DEA scores with a truncated regression. Economic implications arising from the study are also considered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review.
Volume (Year): 44 (2008)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600244/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Malighetti, G & Martini, G & Paleari, S & Redondi, R, 2009. "The Impacts of Airport Centrality in the EU Network and Inter- Airport Competition on Airport Efficiency," MPRA Paper 17673, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tiziana D’Alfonso & Cinzia Daraio & Alberto Nastasi, 2013. "Assesing the Impact of Competition on the Efficiency of Italian Airports," DIAG Technical Reports 2013-01, Department of Computer, Control and Management Engineering, Universita' degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza".
- Diana, Tony, 2010. "Can we explain airport performance? A case study of selected New York airports using a stochastic frontier model," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 310-314.
- Assaf, A. George & Josiassen, Alexander & Gillen, David, 2014. "Measuring firm performance: Bayesian estimates with good and bad outputs," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(6), pages 1249-1256.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana, 2011. "Cost efficiency of African airports using a finite mixture model," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 807-813, November.
- Liu, John S. & Lu, Louis Y.Y. & Lu, Wen-Min & Lin, Bruce J.Y., 2013. "A survey of DEA applications," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(5), pages 893-902.
- Gitto, Simone & Mancuso, Paolo, 2010. "Airport efficiency: a DEA two stage analysis of the Italian commercial airports," MPRA Paper 34366, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 10 Oct 2010.
- Martini, Gianmaria & Manello, Alessandro & Scotti, Davide, 2013. "The influence of fleet mix, ownership and LCCs on airports’ technical/environmental efficiency," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 37-52.
- Martín, Juan Carlos & Rodríguez-Déniz, Héctor & Voltes-Dorta, Augusto, 2013. "Determinants of airport cost flexibility in a context of economic recession," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 57(C), pages 70-84.
- Mancuso, Paolo, 2014. "An analysis of the competition that impinges on the Milan–Rome intercity passenger transport link," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 42-52.
- Tsui, Wai Hong Kan & Gilbey, Andrew & Balli, Hatice Ozer, 2014. "Estimating airport efficiency of New Zealand airports," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 78-86.
- Curi, Claudia & Gitto, Simone & Mancuso, Paolo, 2011. "New evidence on the efficiency of Italian airports: A bootstrapped DEA analysis," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 84-93, June.
- Assaf, A. George & Gillen, David & Barros, Carlos, 2012. "Performance assessment of UK airports: Evidence from a Bayesian dynamic frontier model," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 603-615.
- Curi, Claudia & Gitto, Simone & Mancuso, Paolo, 2010. "The Italian airport industry in transition: a performance analysis," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 218-221.
- repec:ise:isegwp:wp222008 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ise:isegwp:wp102008 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ise:isegwp:wp252008 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sebastián Lozano & Ester Gutiérrez, 2011. "Efficiency Analysis and Target Setting of Spanish Airports," Networks and Spatial Economics, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 139-157, March.
- Gitto, Simone & Mancuso, Paolo, 2009. "Productivity change in Italian airports," MPRA Paper 34367, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Perelman, Sergio & Serebrisky, Tomas, 2010. "Measuring the technical efficiency of airports in Latin America," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5339, The World Bank.
- Vogel, Hans-Arthur & Graham, Anne, 2013. "Devising airport groupings for financial benchmarking," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 32-38.
- Gitto, Simone & Mancuso, Paolo, 2012. "Bootstrapping the Malmquist indexes for Italian airports," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 403-411.
- De Nicola, Arianna & Gitto, Simone & Mancuso, Paolo, 2013. "Airport quality and productivity changes: A Malmquist index decomposition assessment," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 58(C), pages 67-75.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.