Measuring the economic efficiency of airports: A Simar-Wilson methodology analysis
AbstractIn this paper, the innovative two-stage procedure of Simar and Wilson [Simar, L., Wilson, P.W., 2007. Estimation and inference in two stage, semi-parametric models of productive efficiency. Journal of Econometrics 136, 31-64] is used to estimate the efficiency determinants of Italian airports. In the first stage, the airports' relative technical efficiency is estimated with data envelopment analysis (DEA) to establish the airports that perform most efficiently. These airports could serve as peers to help improve performance of the least efficient airports. The paper ranks these airports according to their total productivity for the period 2001-2003. In the second stage, the Simar and Wilson (2007) procedure is used to bootstrap the DEA scores with a truncated regression. Economic implications arising from the study are also considered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review.
Volume (Year): 44 (2008)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600244/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gitto, Simone & Mancuso, Paolo, 2009. "Productivity change in Italian airports," MPRA Paper 34367, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tsui, Wai Hong Kan & Gilbey, Andrew & Balli, Hatice Ozer, 2014. "Estimating airport efficiency of New Zealand airports," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 78-86.
- Perelman, Sergio & Serebrisky, Tomas, 2010. "Measuring the technical efficiency of airports in Latin America," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5339, The World Bank.
- Gitto, Simone & Mancuso, Paolo, 2010. "Airport efficiency: a DEA two stage analysis of the Italian commercial airports," MPRA Paper 34366, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 10 Oct 2010.
- repec:ise:isegwp:wp252008 is not listed on IDEAS
- Liu, John S. & Lu, Louis Y.Y. & Lu, Wen-Min & Lin, Bruce J.Y., 2013. "A survey of DEA applications," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(5), pages 893-902.
- Diana, Tony, 2010. "Can we explain airport performance? A case study of selected New York airports using a stochastic frontier model," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 310-314.
- repec:ise:isegwp:wp222008 is not listed on IDEAS
- Curi, Claudia & Gitto, Simone & Mancuso, Paolo, 2011. "New evidence on the efficiency of Italian airports: A bootstrapped DEA analysis," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 84-93, June.
- Vogel, Hans-Arthur & Graham, Anne, 2013. "Devising airport groupings for financial benchmarking," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 32-38.
- Mancuso, Paolo, 2014. "An analysis of the competition that impinges on the Milan–Rome intercity passenger transport link," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 42-52.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana, 2011. "Cost efficiency of African airports using a finite mixture model," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 807-813, November.
- Martín, Juan Carlos & Rodríguez-Déniz, Héctor & Voltes-Dorta, Augusto, 2013. "Determinants of airport cost flexibility in a context of economic recession," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 57(C), pages 70-84.
- De Nicola, Arianna & Gitto, Simone & Mancuso, Paolo, 2013. "Airport quality and productivity changes: A Malmquist index decomposition assessment," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 58(C), pages 67-75.
- Tiziana D’Alfonso & Cinzia Daraio & Alberto Nastasi, 2013. "Assesing the Impact of Competition on the Efficiency of Italian Airports," DIAG Technical Reports 2013-01, Department of Computer, Control and Management Engineering, Universita' degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza".
- Curi, Claudia & Gitto, Simone & Mancuso, Paolo, 2010. "The Italian airport industry in transition: a performance analysis," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 218-221.
- Martini, Gianmaria & Manello, Alessandro & Scotti, Davide, 2013. "The influence of fleet mix, ownership and LCCs on airports’ technical/environmental efficiency," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 37-52.
- Gitto, Simone & Mancuso, Paolo, 2012. "Bootstrapping the Malmquist indexes for Italian airports," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 403-411.
- Malighetti, G & Martini, G & Paleari, S & Redondi, R, 2009. "The Impacts of Airport Centrality in the EU Network and Inter- Airport Competition on Airport Efficiency," MPRA Paper 17673, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Assaf, A. George & Gillen, David & Barros, Carlos, 2012. "Performance assessment of UK airports: Evidence from a Bayesian dynamic frontier model," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 603-615.
- repec:ise:isegwp:wp102008 is not listed on IDEAS
- Assaf, A. George & Josiassen, Alexander & Gillen, David, 2014. "Measuring firm performance: Bayesian estimates with good and bad outputs," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(6), pages 1249-1256.
- Sebastián Lozano & Ester Gutiérrez, 2011. "Efficiency Analysis and Target Setting of Spanish Airports," Networks and Spatial Economics, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 139-157, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.