Heteroscedastic control for random coefficients and error components in mixed logit
AbstractDevelopments in simulation methods, and the computational power that is now available, have enabled open-form discrete choice models such as mixed logit to be estimated with relative ease. The random parameter (RP) form has been used to identify preference heterogeneity, which can be mapped to specific individuals through re-parameterisation of the mean and/or variance of each RP's distribution. However this formulation depends on the selection of random parameters to reveal such heterogeneity, with any residual heterogeneity forced into the constant variance condition of the extreme value type 1 distribution of the classical multinomial logit model. In this paper we enhance the mixed logit model to capture additional alternative-specific unobserved variation not subject to the constant variance condition, which is independent of sources revealed through random parameters. An empirical example is presented to illustrate the additional information obtained from this model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review.
Volume (Year): 43 (2007)
Issue (Month): 5 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600244/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marit Kragt & Jeffrey Bennett, 2012. "Attribute Framing in Choice Experiments: How Do Attribute Level Descriptions Affect Value Estimates?," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 51(1), pages 43-59, January.
- Li, Zheng & Hensher, David A. & Rose, John M., 2013. "Accommodating perceptual conditioning in the valuation of expected travel time savings for cars and public transport," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 270-276.
- Robert Gillespie & Jeff Bennett, 2011.
"Willingness to pay for kerbside recycling the Brisbane Region,"
Environmental Economics Research Hub Research Reports
1097, Environmental Economics Research Hub, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Gillespie, Robert & Bennett, Jeffrey W., 2011. "Willingness to pay for kerbside recycling the Brisbane Region," Research Reports 107805, Australian National University, Environmental Economics Research Hub.
- Abildtrup, Jens & Garcia, Serge & Olsen, Soren Boye & Stenger, Anne, 2011.
"Spatial Preference Heterogeneity in Forest Recreation,"
2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland
120386, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Abildtrup, Jens & Garcia, Serge & Olsen, Søren Bøye & Stenger, Anne, 2013. "Spatial preference heterogeneity in forest recreation," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(C), pages 67-77.
- Mohammed Hussen Alemu & Morten Raun Mørkbak & Søren Bøye Olsen & Carsten Lynge Jensen, 2011.
"Attending to the reasons for attribute non-attendance in Choice Experiments,"
IFRO Working Paper
2011/8, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics.
- Mohammed Alemu & Morten Mørkbak & Søren Olsen & Carsten Jensen, 2013. "Attending to the Reasons for Attribute Non-attendance in Choice Experiments," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 54(3), pages 333-359, March.
- Stine Broch & Suzanne Vedel, 2012. "Using Choice Experiments to Investigate the Policy Relevance of Heterogeneity in Farmer Agri-Environmental Contract Preferences," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 51(4), pages 561-581, April.
- Edoardo Marcucci & Valerio Gatta, 2011.
"Dissecting Preference Heterogeneity In Consumer Stated Choices,"
0311, CREI Università degli Studi Roma Tre, revised 2011.
- Marcucci, Edoardo & Gatta, Valerio, 2012. "Dissecting preference heterogeneity in consumer stated choices," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 331-339.
- Kragt, Marit Ellen & Bennett, Jeffrey W., 2009.
"Using Choice Experiments to value River and Estuary Health in Tasmania with Individual Preference Heterogeneity,"
94816, Australian National University, Environmental Economics Research Hub.
- Marit E Kragt & Jeff Bennett, 2009. "Using Choice Experiments to value River and Estuary Health in Tasmania with Individual Preference Heterogeneity," Environmental Economics Research Hub Research Reports 0916, Environmental Economics Research Hub, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University, revised Sep 2009.
- Kragt, Marit Ellen & Bennett, Jeffrey W., 2009. "Using choice experiments to value river and estuary health in Tasmania with individual preference heterogeneity," 2009 Conference (53rd), February 11-13, 2009, Cairns, Australia 48058, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Jacobsen, Jette Bredahl & Thorsen, Bo Jellesmark, 2010. "Preferences for site and environmental functions when selecting forthcoming national parks," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(7), pages 1532-1544, May.
- David Hensher & John Rose, 2009. "Toll product preferences and implications for alternative payment options and going cashless," Transportation, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 131-145, March.
- Marit Kragt, 2013. "The Effects of Changing Cost Vectors on Choices and Scale Heterogeneity," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 54(2), pages 201-221, February.
- Søren Olsen & Thomas Lundhede & Jette Jacobsen & Bo Thorsen, 2011. "Tough and Easy Choices: Testing the Influence of Utility Difference on Stated Certainty-in-Choice in Choice Experiments," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 49(4), pages 491-510, August.
- Morten Mørkbak & Jonas Nordström, 2009. "The Impact of Information on Consumer Preferences for Different Animal Food Production Methods," Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, vol. 32(4), pages 313-331, December.
- Rabotyagov, Sergey S. & Lin, Sonja, 2013. "Small forest landowner preferences for working forest conservation contract attributes: A case of Washington State, USA," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 307-330.
- Devarasetty, Prem Chand & Burris, Mark & Douglass Shaw, W., 2012. "The value of travel time and reliability-evidence from a stated preference survey and actual usage," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 46(8), pages 1227-1240.
- Czajkowski, Mikołaj & Bartczak, Anna & Giergiczny, Marek & Navrud, Stale & Żylicz, Tomasz, 2014. "Providing preference-based support for forest ecosystem service management," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 1-12.
- Broch, Stine Wamberg & Strange, Niels & Jacobsen, Jette B. & Wilson, Kerrie A., 2013. "Farmers' willingness to provide ecosystem services and effects of their spatial distribution," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(C), pages 78-86.
- Liesivaara, Petri & Myyrä, Sami, 2014. "Government policies in changing climate and the demand for crop insurance," 88th Annual Conference, April 9-11, 2014, AgroParisTech, Paris, France 170520, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Hensher, David A., 2010. "Hypothetical bias, choice experiments and willingness to pay," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 44(6), pages 735-752, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.