Japanese-airport benchmarking with the DEA and endogenous-weight TFP methods: testing the criticism of overinvestment in Japanese regional airports
AbstractAs aviation demand increased constantly along with the rapid economic growth in Japan and surrounding East Asian countries over the last several decades, Japanese government promoted airport construction since 1950s. However, the recent change in the economic background has made rise to a criticism toward the inefficient public investment, especially the transportation infrastructure. In this criticism, it has been argued that some of the small regional airports are indeed suffering the issue of overinvestment. Thus this paper attempts to verify the validity of such criticism by statistically measuring the efficiency of Japanese airports and conducting comparative analysis. For this objective, the paper employs two distinct methods namely data-envelopment analysis and endogenous-weight TFP methods. The results from these methods consistently indicates that the efficiency of regional airports in mainland Japan are lower than others, and that those airports constructed in the 1990s are relatively inefficient.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review.
Volume (Year): 40 (2004)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600244/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana, 2011. "Cost efficiency of African airports using a finite mixture model," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 807-813, November.
- Carlos Pestana Barros & Shunsuke Managi, 2008. "Productivity Change of UK Airports: 2000-2005," Working Papers Department of Economics 2008/22, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Carlos Pestana Barros & Albert Assef, 2009. "Productivity Change in USA Airports: The Gillen and Lall Approach Revisited," Working Papers Department of Economics 2009/22, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Malighetti, G & Martini, G & Paleari, S & Redondi, R, 2009. "The Impacts of Airport Centrality in the EU Network and Inter- Airport Competition on Airport Efficiency," MPRA Paper 17673, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gitto, Simone & Mancuso, Paolo, 2012. "Bootstrapping the Malmquist indexes for Italian airports," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 403-411.
- Bergamini, Elisabetta & Gitto, Simone & Mancuso, Paolo, 2006. "The performance of Italian airports," MPRA Paper 35790, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gitto, Simone & Mancuso, Paolo, 2010. "Airport efficiency: a DEA two stage analysis of the Italian commercial airports," MPRA Paper 34366, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 10 Oct 2010.
- Gitto, Simone & Mancuso, Paolo, 2009. "Productivity change in Italian airports," MPRA Paper 34367, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carlos Pestana Barros, 2008. "The Technical Efficiency of UK Airports," Working Papers Department of Economics 2008/10, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Rui Cunha Marques & Carlos Pestana Barros, 2011.
"Performance of European airports: regulation, ownership and managerial efficiency,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 29-37.
- Carlos Pestana Barros & Rui Cunha Marques, 2008. "Performance of European Airports: Regulation, Ownership and Managerial Efficiency," Working Papers Department of Economics 2008/25, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana, 2008. "Technical change and productivity growth in airports: A case study," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(5), pages 818-832, June.
- Yu, Ming-Miin & Chern, Ching-Chin & Hsiao, Bo, 2013. "Human resource rightsizing using centralized data envelopment analysis: Evidence from Taiwan's Airports," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 119-130.
- Sebastián Lozano & Ester Gutiérrez, 2011. "Efficiency Analysis and Target Setting of Spanish Airports," Networks and Spatial Economics, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 139-157, March.
- Pestana Barros, Carlos & Managi, Shunsuke & Yoshida, Yuichiro, 2010. "Productivity growth and biased technological change in Japanese airports," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 259-265, August.
- Curi, Claudia & Gitto, Simone & Mancuso, Paolo, 2011. "New evidence on the efficiency of Italian airports: A bootstrapped DEA analysis," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 84-93, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.