Concession revenue and optimal airport pricing
AbstractIn recent years airports have been under growing pressure to become financially self-sufficient and to pursue profit maximization in their non-aeronautical or concession operations. In this paper we examine the optimal pricing in a model where concession and aeronautical operations of an airport are considered together with an overall break-even constraint. We find that the optimum solution may require a subsidy from concession to aeronautical operations. However, such a cross-subsidy may or may not restore marginal-cost pricing on aeronautical operations. On the other hand, social welfare can be higher when an airport is allowed to make profits in concession operations than when marginal-cost pricing is imposed on concession operations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review.
Volume (Year): 33 (1997)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600244/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mantin, Benny, 2012. "Airport complementarity: Private vs. government ownership and welfare gravitation," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 381-388.
- Hangjun Yang & Anming Zhang, 2011. "Price-cap regulation of congested airports," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 293-312, June.
- De Borger, Bruno & Van Dender, Kurt, 2006. "Prices, capacities and service levels in a congestible Bertrand duopoly," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 264-283, September.
- Wei, Wenbin, 2006. "Impact of landing fees on airlinesâ€™ choice of aircraft size and service frequency in duopoly markets," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 12(6), pages 288-292.
- Basso, Leonardo J., 2008. "Airport deregulation: Effects on pricing and capacity," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 1015-1031, July.
- Fay Dunkerley & André de Palma & Stef Proost, 2007.
"Spatial asymmetric duopoly with an application to Brussels’ airports,"
THEMA Working Papers
2007-14, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Fay Dunkerley & Andre de Palma & Stef Proost, 2009. "Spatial Asymmetric Duopoly With An Application To Brussels' Airports," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(3), pages 529-553.
- Fay Dunkerley & André De Palma & Stef Proost, 2008. "Spatial asymmetric duopoly with an application to Brussels' airports," Working Papers hal-00348443, HAL.
- Carlsson, Fredrik, 2002. "Airport Marginal Cost Pricing: Discussion and an Application to Swedish Airports," Working Papers in Economics 85, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Bilotkach, Volodymyr & Clougherty, Joseph A. & Mueller, Juergen & Zhang, Anming, 2011.
"Regulation, Privatization, and Airport Charges: Panel Data Evidence from European Airports,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8618, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Volodymyr Bilotkach & Joseph Clougherty & Juergen Mueller & Anming Zhang, 2012. "Regulation, privatization, and airport charges: panel data evidence from European airports," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 73-94, August.
- Valentina Bracaglia & Tiziana D'Alfonso & Alberto Nastasi, 2014. "Multiproduct airport competition and e-commerce strategies," DIAG Technical Reports 2014-04, Department of Computer, Control and Management Engineering, Universita' degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza".
- Basso, Leonardo J. & Zhang, Anming, 2008. "On the relationship between airport pricing models," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 42(9), pages 725-735, November.
- Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin, 2010. "Airport capacity and congestion pricing with both aeronautical and commercial operations," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 404-413, March.
- Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin, 2006. "Airport capacity and congestion when carriers have market power," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 229-247, September.
- Appold, Stephen J. & Kasarda, John D., 2006. "The appropriate scale of US airport retail activities," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 12(6), pages 277-287.
- Xiao, Yibin & Fu, Xiaowen & Zhang, Anming, 2013. "Demand uncertainty and airport capacity choice," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 57(C), pages 91-104.
- Chi-Lok, Andrew Yuen & Zhang, Anming, 2009. "Effects of competition and policy changes on Chinese airport productivity: An empirical investigation," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 166-174.
- Czerny, Achim I., 2010. "Airport congestion management under uncertainty," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 371-380, March.
- Franz Fuerst & Sven Gross & Ulf Klose, .
"The Sky is the Limit? The Determinants and Constraints of European Airports' Commercial Revenues,"
Real Estate & Planning Working Papers
rep-wp2010-14, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Fuerst, Franz & Gross, Sven & Klose, Ulf, 2011. "The sky is the limit? The determinants and constraints of European airports commercial revenues," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 278-283.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:12:y:2008:i:8:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Zhang, Anming & Fu, Xiaowen & Yang, Hangjun (Gavin), 2010. "Revenue sharing with multiple airlines and airports," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 44(8-9), pages 944-959, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.