Broadband and contributions to economic growth: Lessons from the US experience
AbstractThe connection between broadband deployment and economic prosperity in the United States has garnered public attention due to stimulus plan funding authorized in February 2009 for broadband planning and deployment initiatives. The importance of innovation for a nation's economic well-being is fairly well understood. Through a literature survey, this article analyzes the connection between information and communications technologies and economic growth, as well as the connection between broadband and economic growth. There appears to be a positive economic impact from expanded broadband deployment and adoption. However, various research challenges including methodological problems and access to sufficiently granular data have prevented the authors from drawing more definitive conclusions from the US broadband experience. Another finding is the time lag for businesses to effectively exploit innovative broadband applications.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Telecommunications Policy.
Volume (Year): 33 ()
Issue (Month): 10-11 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30471/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- John Mayo & Scott Wallsten, 2011. "From Network Externalities to Broadband Growth Externalities: a Bridge not yet Built," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 173-190, March.
- Kim, Younjun & Orazem, Peter F., 2012.
"Broadband Internet and Firm Entry: Evidence from Rural Iowa,"
2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington
124879, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Kim, Younjun & Orazem, Peter, 2012. "Broadband Internet and Firm Entry: Evidence from Rural Iowa," Staff General Research Papers 35696, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- repec:asg:wpaper:1019 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bertschek, Irene & Cerquera, Daniel & Klein, Gordon J., 2011.
"More bits - more bucks? Measuring the impact of broadband internet on firm performance,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
11-032, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Bertschek, Irene & Cerquera, Daniel & Klein, Gordon J., 2013. "More bits - more bucks? Measuring the impact of broadband internet on firm performance," DICE Discussion Papers 86, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Haller, Stefanie A. & Lyons, Sean, 2012. "Broadband adoption and firm productivity: evidence from Irish manufacturing firms," MPRA Paper 42626, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:asg:wpaper:1025 is not listed on IDEAS
- T. Randolph Beard & George S. Ford & Richard P. Saba & Richard A. Seals Jr., 2010. "Internet Use and Job Search," Auburn Economics Working Paper Series auwp2010-07, Department of Economics, Auburn University.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.