Integrated squared error estimation of Cauchy parameters
AbstractWe show that integrated squared error estimation of the parameters of a Cauchy distribution, based on the empirical characteristic function, is simple, robust and efficient. The k-L estimator of Koutrouvelis (Biometrika 69 (1982) 205) is more difficult to use, less robust and at best only marginally more efficient.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 55 (2001)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Junjiro Ogawa, 1960. "Determination of optimum spacings for the estimation of the scale parameter of an exponential distribution based on sample quantiles," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 135-141, June.
- Muneya Matsui & Akimichi Takemura, 2005. "Goodness-of-Fit Tests for Symmetric Stable Distributions - Empirical Characteristic Function Approach," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-384, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Besbeas, Panagiotis & Morgan, Byron J. T., 2004. "Integrated squared error estimation of normal mixtures," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 517-526, January.
- Michael Rockinger & Maria Semenova, 2005. "Estimation of Jump-Diffusion Process vis Empirical Characteristic Function," FAME Research Paper Series rp150, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Muneya Matsui & Akimichi Takemura, 2005. "Empirical characteristic function approach to goodness-of-fit tests for the Cauchy distribution with parameters estimated by MLE or EISE," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 57(1), pages 183-199, March.
- Muneya Matsui & Akimichi Takemura, 2003. "Empirical characteristic function approach to goodness-of-fit tests for the Cauchy distribution with parameters estimated by MLE or EISE," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-226, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Meintanis, Simos G. & Iliopoulos, George, 2008. "Fourier methods for testing multivariate independence," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 1884-1895, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.