The Bernstein polynomial estimator of a smooth quantile function
AbstractAn estimator of a smooth quantile function (q.f.) is constructed by Bernstein polynomial smoothing of the empirical quantile function. Asymptotic behavior of this estimator is demonstrated by a weighted Brownian bridge in-probability uniform approximation. Oscillation behavior of this estimator in finite samples is demonstrated by spectral decomposition and preservation of high-order convexity of the empirical quantile function.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 24 (1995)
Issue (Month): 4 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Munoz Perez, Jose & Fernandez Palacin, Ana, 1987. "Estimating the quantile function by Bernstein polynomials," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 391-397, September.
- Kaigh, W. D. & Sorto, Maria Alejandra, 1993. "Subsampling quantile estimator majorization inequalities," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 373-379, December.
- Zielinski, Ryszard, 1999. "Best equivariant nonparametric estimator of a quantile," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 79-84, October.
- Okolewski, Andrzej & Rychlik, Tomasz, 2001. "Sharp distribution-free bounds on the bias in estimating quantiles via order statistics," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 207-213, April.
- Cheng, Cheng, 2002. "Almost-sure uniform error bounds of general smooth estimators of quantile density functions," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 183-194, September.
- Golyandina, Nina & Pepelyshev, Andrey & Steland, Ansgar, 2012. "New approaches to nonparametric density estimation and selection of smoothing parameters," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(7), pages 2206-2218.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.