Using non-stochastic terms to advantage in kernel-based estimation of integrated squared density derivatives
AbstractImproved kernel-based estimates of integrated squared density derivatives are obtained by reinstating non-stochastic terms that have previously been omitted, and using the bandwidth to (approximately) cancel these positive quantities with the leading smoothing bias terms which are negative. Such estimators have exhibited great practical merit in the context of data-based selection of the bandwidth in kernel density estimation, a motivating application of this work discussed elsewhere.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 11 (1991)
Issue (Month): 6 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Powell, James L. & Stoker, Thomas M., 1992. "Optimal bandwidth choice for density-weighted averages," Working papers 3424-92., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Tenreiro, Carlos, 2003. "On the asymptotic normality of multistage integrated density derivatives kernel estimators," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 311-322, September.
- Gonzalez-Manteiga, W. & Sanchez-Sellero, C. & Wand, M. P., 1996. "Accuracy of binned kernel functional approximations," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 1-16, June.
- Duc Devroye & J. Beirlant & R. Cao & R. Fraiman & P. Hall & M. Jones & Gábor Lugosi & E. Mammen & J. Marron & C. Sánchez-Sellero & J. Uña & F. Udina & L. Devroye, 1997. "Universal smoothing factor selection in density estimation: theory and practice," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 223-320, December.
- Mizushima, Takamasa, 2000. "Multisample tests for scale based on kernel density estimation," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 81-91, August.
- Saavedra, Ángeles & Cao, Ricardo, 1999. "Rate of convergence of a convolution-type estimator of the marginal density of a MA(1) process," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 129-155, April.
- Hidehiko Ichimura & Oliver Linton, 2001.
"Asymptotic expansions for some semiparametric program evaluation estimators,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP04/01, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Hidehiko Ichimura & Oliver Linton, 2003. "Asymptotic Expansions for Some Semiparametric Program Evaluation Estimators," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2003/451, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Powell, James L. & Stoker, Thomas M., 1996. "Optimal bandwidth choice for density-weighted averages," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 291-316, December.
- Farmen, Mark & Marron, J. S., 1999. "An assessment of finite sample performance of adaptive methods in density estimation," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 143-168, April.
- Hirukawa Masayuki, 2004. "A Two-Stage Plug-In Bandwidth Selection and Its Implementation in Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation," Working Papers 04005, Concordia University, Department of Economics.
- Dimitrios Bagkavos, 2011. "Local linear hazard rate estimation and bandwidth selection," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 63(5), pages 1019-1046, October.
- Hall, Peter & Wolff, Rodney C. L., 1995. "Estimators of integrals of powers of density derivatives," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 105-110, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.