Optimum portfolio diversification in a general continuous-time model
AbstractThe problem of determining optimal portfolio rules is considered. Prices are allowed to be stochastic processes of a fairly general nature, expressible as stochastic integrals with respect to semimartingales. The set of stochastic differential equations assumed to describe the price behaviour still allows us to handle both the associated control problems and those of statistical inference. The greater generality this approach offers compared to earlier treatments allows for a more realistic fit to real price data. with the obvious implications this has for the applicability of the theory. The additional problem of including consumption is also considered in some generality. The associated Bellman equation has been solved in certain particular situations for illustration. Problems with possible reserve funds, borrowing and shortselling might be handled in the present framework. The problem of statistical inference concerning the parameters in the semimartingale price processes will be treated elsewhere.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Stochastic Processes and their Applications.
Volume (Year): 18 (1984)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/505572/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marcel Prokopczuk, 2011. "Optimal portfolio choice in the presence of domestic systemic risk: empirical evidence from stock markets," Decisions in Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 141-168, November.
- Framstad, Nils Chr. & Oksendal, Bernt & Sulem, Agnes, 2001. "Optimal consumption and portfolio in a jump diffusion market with proportional transaction costs," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 233-257, April.
- Sanjiv Ranjan Das & Raman Uppal, 2004.
"Systemic Risk and International Portfolio Choice,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 59(6), pages 2809-2834, December.
- Ken Sennewald & Klaus Wälde, 2006.
"“Itô's Lemma” and the Bellman Equation for Poisson Processes: An Applied View,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 89(1), pages 1-36, October.
- Ken Sennewald & Klaus Waelde, 2006. "“Itô’s Lemma“ and the Bellman Equation for Poisson Processes: An Applied View," CESifo Working Paper Series 1684, CESifo Group Munich.
- Sennewald, Ken & Wälde, Klaus, 2005. ""Ito's Lemma" and the Bellman equation for Poisson processes: An applied view," W.E.P. - WÃ¼rzburg Economic Papers 58, University of Würzburg, Chair for Monetary Policy and International Economics.
- Goll, Thomas & Kallsen, Jan, 2000. "Optimal portfolios for logarithmic utility," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 31-48, September.
- Wee, In-Suk, 1999. "Stability for multidimensional jump-diffusion processes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 193-209, April.
- Sennewald, Ken, 2007. "Controlled stochastic differential equations under Poisson uncertainty and with unbounded utility," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 1106-1131, April.
- Dieckmann, Stephan & Gallmeyer, Michael, 2005.
"The equilibrium allocation of diffusive and jump risks with heterogeneous agents,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 29(9), pages 1547-1576, September.
- Stephan Dieckmann & Michael Gallmeyer, . "The Equilibrium Allocation of Diffusive and Jump Risks with Heterogeneous Agents," GSIA Working Papers 2003-E36, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.