Continuous trading in an exchange economy under discontinuous dynamics: A resolution of the equity premium puzzle
AbstractThis paper analyses asset prices, the term structure of the interest rate, the spot price of risk and derives the equilibrium excess returns on risky assets in an exchange economy where the underlying exogenous uncertainty is a pure multidimensional jump process. We derive closed-form solutions for the interest rate and the risk premiums on risky assets, as well as prices of derivative assets for a general class of separable utility indices and endowment processes. Our analysis demonstrates that when the underlying jumps of the aggregate consumption process are not negligible, then the traditional form of the consumption-based capital asset pricing model need not hold and the asset risk premiums may be larger than predicted by the traditional CCAPM in continuous time, based on Itô-diffusion processes. Our alternative model for the equity premiums lends itself to possible empirical testing. We also demonstrate that a more traditional consumption-based capital asset pricing type model approximately results when the jump sizes in the aggregate consumption are small. Our analysis suggests an explanation for the large estimates of the risk premiums reported in empirical tests of the single beta CCAPM. The analytical tool used is stochastic calculus for random point processes represented by random measures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Scandinavian Journal of Management.
Volume (Year): 9 (1993)
Issue (Month): Supplement 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/872/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aase, Knut K., 2004. "Jump Dynamics: The Equity Premium and the Risk-Free Rate Puzzles," Discussion Papers 2004/12, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Aase, Knut K., 2000. "An equilibrium asset pricing model based on Lévy processes: relations to stochastic volatility, and the survival hypothesis," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 345-363, December.
- Aase, Knut K., 2014. "Recursive utility and jump-diffusions," Discussion Papers 2014/9, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Jose S. Penalva Zuasti, 2001.
"Insurance with Frequency Trading: A Dynamic Analysis of Efficient Insurance Markets,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 4(4), pages 790-822, October.
- José Penalva, 2000. "Full insurance, asymmetric information and genetic testing," Economics Working Papers 461, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.