Organisational principles for co-operative firms
AbstractCo-operative firms have been the subject of criticism by many economists, who base their arguments on property rights and agency theory: members do not control management, investments are short term, accumulated investments are below the economic optimum, etc. Nevertheless, many co-operative organisations do function well for their members. An analysis of the assumptions underlying the criticism reveals that this is not generally justified. As it focuses mainly on the functioning of capital markets, it disregards the vertically integrated character of the co-operatives, i.e. that their purpose is to counteract market failures on product markets. For many co-operatives, however, the critique is valid. Individual ownership in the form of tradable residual rights is thus motivated in many co-operatives.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Scandinavian Journal of Management.
Volume (Year): 17 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/872/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michael Kopel & Marco Marini, 2013. "Strategic Delegation In Consumer Cooperatives Under Mixed Oligopoly," Working Papers 1306, University of Urbino Carlo Bo, Department of Economics, Society & Politics - Scientific Committee - L. Stefanini & G. Travaglini, revised 2013.
- Kispál-Vitai, Zsuzsanna, 2006.
"Gondolatok a szövetkezetelmélet fejlődéséről
[Ideas for developing cooperative theory]," Közgazdasági Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), Közgazdasági Szemle Alapítvány (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(1), pages 69-84.
- Lind, Lena W., 2011. "The Demutualization of a Cooperative - Swedish Meats," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114382, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Saha, Souresh, 2014. "Firm's objective function and product and process R&D," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 484-494.
- Murray-Prior, Roy B., 0. "Are Farmers in the Transitional Economies Likely to Benefit from Forming Collaborative Marketing Groups?," BANWA Agribusiness and Management Issues, University of the Philippines Mindanao.
- Hudon, Marek & Périlleux, Anaïs, 2014. "Surplus distribution and characteristics of social enterprises: Evidence from microfinance," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 147-157.
- Dietl, Helmut M. & Franck, Egon & Hasan, Tariq & Lang, Markus, 2009.
"Governance of professional sports leagues--Cooperatives versus contracts,"
International Review of Law and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 127-137, June.
- Helmut Dietl & Egon Franck & Tariq Hasan & Markus Lang, 2006. "Governance of Professional Sports Leagues - Cooperatives versus Contracts," Working Papers 0059, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU), revised 2007.
- Helmut Dietl & Egon Franck & Tariq Hasan & Markus Lang, 2006. "Governance of Professional Sports Leagues - Cooperatives versus Contracts," Working Papers 0011, University of Zurich, Center for Research in Sports Administration (CRSA), revised 2007.
- Kontolaimou, Alexandra & Tsekouras, Kostas, 2010. "Are cooperatives the weakest link in European banking? A non-parametric metafrontier approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1946-1957, August.
- Dentoni, Domenico & Menozzi, Davide & Capelli, Maria Giacinta, 2012. "Group heterogeneity and cooperation on the geographical indication regulation: The case of the “Prosciutto di Parma” Consortium," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 207-216.
- Feng, Li & Hendrikse, George W.J., 2011. "Coordination and Governance: The case of Cooperatives versus IOFs," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114359, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Borgen, Svein Ole, 2011. "Product differentiation and cooperative governance," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 327-333, May.
- Kispál-Vitai, Zsuzsanna, 2011. "Szabó G. Gábor: Szövetkezetek az élelmiszer-gazdaságban. Gondolatok az ún. előmozdító típusú szövetkezés gazdasági lényegéről és integrációs jelentőségéről. Agroinform Kiadó, ," Közgazdasági Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), Közgazdasági Szemle Alapítvány (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(11), pages 994-996.
- Yildiz, Özgür & Rommel, Jens & Debor, Sarah & Holstenkamp, Lars & Mey, Franziska & Müller, Jakob R. & Radtke, Jörg & Rognli, Judith, 2014. "Research Perspectives on Renewable Energy Cooperatives in Germany: Empirical Insights and Theoretical Lenses," MPRA Paper 55931, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cabo, Paula & Rebelo, Joao, 2005. "Governance Control Mechanisms in Portuguese Agricultural Credit Cooperatives," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24623, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Gábor R., István, 2004.
"Tőkésvállalat vis-à-vis szakszervezet, versus termelőszövetkezet. Peripatetikus tanmese az intézményi racionalitás/diverzitás és a piaci önszabályozás ellentmondásos viszonyáról
[C," Közgazdasági Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), Közgazdasági Szemle Alapítvány (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(7), pages 740-751.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.